What's new
What's new

Mauser Oberndorf sporter

excello

Aluminum
After looking at Quick Karl's nifty renderings of M98's and Butch Lambert's mind numbing Enfield 416, thought I would post some photos of my 9X57 Oberndorf, type B, pattern 80 ( except has set triggers). It's definitely used and has an old refinish on the stock. It's an excellent old rifle though, and I just love the look and feel of it.

I have shot it some with the Kynoch ammo, as I have a couple "100 packs" of that. I've had a couple miss fires with that ammo, and you need to clean the bore thoroughly after shooting !! I think it's time to get some dies and reload for the old timer..... save the Kynoch for display.

excello

Attachments

• IMG_2024.JPG
    IMG_2024.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 2,453
  • IMG_2015.JPG
    IMG_2015.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,659
  • IMG_2016.JPG
    IMG_2016.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 5,904
  • IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,413
  • IMG_2011.JPG
    IMG_2011.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 5,189
Nice rifle Excello. Those sell for HUGE money over here in South Africa.
What solvent do you use when you say "clean the bore thoroughly" after shooting the elderly Kynoch cartridges.
I was taught to start with boiling water to kill the primer residue and then use normal solvent.

Vincent - Thanks for the compliment on the rifle. Yes - I do 3 cycles of hot tap water and bore brush through, alternating with water dampened patches, then dry thoroughly. Follow up with Hoppes, then wipe that out and use gun oil. Reloads w/modern components sound better all the time !

WWWWWWWWWWWOW! I never thought I would live to see one! What a beautiful rifle!

I'm going to go cry now. :cryin:

Thanks for all the compliments gentlemen ! I figured there would be many members that like this type of rifle.

George Wilson - I agree - not enough of this type of firearm at most gun shows. I like to go to the Tulsa show once a year with my buddy so we can gawk at the "good stuff".

Butch Lambert - have you ever displayed your 416 at Tulsa ? I will make a bee-line to your table if I know you are there.

Interestingly, there is a gun show promoter here in eastern Iowa that has a superb collection of British and Continental rifles. He always has several on display at his tables. Makes for a much more interesting show and the guy is down to earth and easy to visit with. Oh - and his friend has an original Gibbs 505 that I have held in my grubby little hands - yikes !!!

Matabele1 - a Type A in 9.3 X62 - that would be just superb !!

Thanks again everyone for your responses.

excello

Back