What's new
What's new

.338 lapua

Enfield as in US 1917? Yeah it can work, although you can expect to put a good bit of work into altering the bolt face and altering the receiver rails and mag to make it feed properly. A barrel blank with groove dia. of .338" would be correct.
Mark

well what about the enfield #4 mk1 I was sold a action about 10 years ago by a gunsmith? that was cutting and rewelding them for longer cartriges.
I got a un cut one and a barrel blank to make a 338 win but ran out of money. and kind of forgot about it tell everyone started the 338 lapua talk . only 5 dollars a bullet.

It'll work.

Probably only once, though.

That action was used to make some .308 target guns, and was a bit stressed at that. IIRC they welded up the mag well to stiffen the action a bit.

The locking lugs are a ways back on the action, and there is mucho flex.

I would kindly suggest that a .338 Lapua in that one is a recipe for disaster.

Fuggetaboutit!

Or at least make video of the test firing.

Cutting and rewelding SMLE's? With all the good actions available, that seems a fools game to me.

If you gotta build on that action, look at some of the necked up 303 cases, maybe even a 338/308.

There have been some nicely done 45-70's on those too, but that would be a different barrel.

Gonna have to watch the pressures, too, no matter what you chamber it to.

Sorry guy. I would not want to be next to you on any firing line with a .338 Lap in one of those actions.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

hello
I tink I will put the enfield receiver away for awhile. the barrel wont work also.
a 338 lapua needs a 1in 10 or tighter
it is 3.681 long and a base of 587

so a number seven action ? have to look at it
thank you very much
andrew

I cannot imagine cutting and welding a Lee Enfield receiver so that it will accept longer cartridges. The breech would be on one side of the welds, the locking shoulders on the other. No. 4 rifles will work with .308, but anything generating higher pressure or backthrust would be a really bad idea.
A Remington Model 7 would work with .338 Federal, but .338 Lapua would be a non-starter. Casehead is too large in diameter, cartridge is way too long. The 7 is sized for .308 length rounds.

DickS; Just read your answer, you covered the 338 Federal thing. A friend nmade one up years ago and smiled when Federal came out with it.Thanks

Back