What's new
What's new

Mexican Mauser Action

hello
I thought all 98 were large rings.
and the 1889 to 1896 that were small ring.
is it mexican or spanish imported to mexico
for that little battle 189?or190? (can remember) then mexico got stuff for ww1 and ww2

there were a few small ring 98 actions. most popular was the g33-40. then the 1918 98b and the radom copy of it and some mexican. and a few others.

The 98 Mexican small ring Mauser was originally chambered in 7X57. I have couple of them and they are nice. The only advantage is that they are lighter, while having all the advanced features of the large ring.

What makes them so special?
As was mentioned above, they are a lighter weight action with all the advantages of the M98 design. At one time they were very popular for building lightweight hunting rifles, enough so that unaltered originals now command a premium.
Mark

I will not tell you how much I have in mine at the moment. It has been made into a double square bridge, Ed Lapour 3 pos safety, Blackburn bottom metal and trigger, custom checkered bolt handle, and a custom designed bolt release. It has been recase hardened and a half octagon and half round barrel is being chambered in 275 Rigby. Is it better than a Remington, probably not. Is a Porsche better than a Honda, probably not. What do you want, that is the answer. Delta, I might trade you out of it.
Butch

Delta,
There are many variations of mausers. One of the strangest was a a turkish large ring 98 I rebarreled that had small ring threads. My feeling is that a Mex is not worth as much a you seem to.

After doing 3 of them, MHO is the Mex is a nice little military 98. That's the problem - it's military & a lot of work is needed to make it a fine sporter. It's not impossible, just expensive & a lot of work. When the work is done, you still will have military action with questionable heat treat, etc. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

A commercial action will not have the stripper clip hump, bolt handle, gross tolerances, trigger, trigger guard/floor plate, etc, to deal with. The best thing you can do is look for a commercial action to build on. Look for a quality action if you want to build a quality rifle. I'd jump on a 700 action sooner than Mex mauser any day.

FN actions were used by Marlin & others for some inexpensive rifles back in the 1950-70's. I found one in .243 and it quickly became a 35 Whelen. The stock was useable after refinishing, recutting the checkering, ebony fore end tip & grip cap. Even the commerical trigger was good after tinkering. All from a rifle I picked up for $250 - less than you might pay for your Mex mauser action.

Another one that I just completed is a Husqvarna Mauser that was sold under the JC Higgins name. It's a 30-06 that I thought I'd rebarrel to 270, but the factory barrel shoots very well. The stock was beat & got the same treatment as the FN to make a real nice gun. The bolt release is different than the 98 & in many ways I like it better.

Anyway, it's just MHO!
Regards, Ron

If it's what you want then why not?

But as Butch said.... it's likely never to shoot as good as a modern action that need little or nothing done to it and would end up much cheaper to build.

And while fine custom mausers built by well known Mauser smiths still bring a premium price it's the workmanship, reputation of the builder and nostalgia that make them so. Not their accuracy or usefullness as a field gun.

I'd be scared to death to take a very expensive fine example of retro gunmaking into a tree stand or even on a stalk hunt for fear of damaging it.

But if it's your cup of tea, do it!

I sure love looking at them.

Gentlemen,
First,I do not have the action,a neighbor down the street does,He wanted me to trade a factory refurbished for the Mexican action.

I too just finished my first rifle project,a Rem 700 that went through Katrina,along with 80 of my other guns.I figured if I butchered it no great loss. I trued the action,didn't feel comfortable recutting the threads on the lathe so I purchased a Dave Manson 10 over tap.I made a dummy out of cold rolled to make sure every thing was right 16 tpi,even had it written down. Indicated the barrel true in the chuck and steady the night before,got up the next morning forgot the pitch was 16,thought it was 20,set the lathe for 28,what a screw up!
I now have a $300 Hart stainless Rem 700 varmint countour in .30 cal with a shank that is aprox .985 dia.
I am looking for an action I can mount it on to sell it and get my money out of it.To add insult to injury,I bought a Turkish Mauser yesterday and when I pulled the barrel,it had been modified to accept a large ring barrel!! Thank God ,the guy bought it back because he builds Mausers.
What a learning experience!
Steve ,It does not shoot a half minitue at %00 yds,thanks for calling that line of bull,

Back