What's new
What's new

More Turk Mauser questions

Pschorz

Plastic
So I'm starting to make progress with my Turk Mauser and I had some previous questions about small shank barrels and strength. I know you can cut a large ring barrel to fit the smaller shank but could you recut and thread the receiver to accept a large shanked barrel? Just thinking the step down from the receiver to the barrel is ugly and wanted some lower express sights on it.

Measure your receiver O.D., then compare it to the large ring barrel shank. You can purchase a state-of-the-art, modern rifle for less than $380, that will shoot better than you can out of the box. What are you trying to accomplish with the Turk? Regards, Clark

Considering the heat treatment process of the day for the Turk I would not bore and thread it to accept the large shank barrel. Thinking of the strength lost in the receiver ring with the removal of more metal. Is there a reason you don't want turn a large shank barrel cylinder area to whatever diameter is pleasing to your eye to fit the Turk? Then I'm thinking, if Mauser thought it was a good idea why didn't they do it???

I agree with sealark37. Lots of better choices out there...

If you turn down the thread on a LR barrel to fit your action,why would the profile be any different from a standard L/R?......That is what military mausers look like,and it aint purty......You will need a barrel with a large reinforce to match the dia of your action.....As to rethreading the action,there is no point,and the chances of achieving factory alignment accuracy are slim.

In gunsmithing the saying is, "Always modify the cheep part". As a barrel is not serial numbered and can be used for another project if you mess up, turn the barrel. External threads are easier to cut than internal also.

if you don't have the equipment to cut threads on the barrel
you sure can't thread the receiver.
and on the receiver you only get one shot at it
unlike a barrel that you can shorten a couple inches and try again

crap a greenmoutain blank is cheap

Back