What's new
What's new

Savage rifle selection, down to 3 choices.

SND

Diamond
I'm hoping for some feedback from members who are familiar with the Savage brand of rifles. I still don't have a decent higher power rifle in the collection, only planning to shoot targets, doubt more than 400yrds as its all the range has. Otherwise waiting for possible zombie/alien invasion. I kinda gave up on the idea to built my own, doesn't seem worth the time or money with how good the cost of these savage rifles is.

I read many good things about Savage and their accuracy but I never got to shoot one.
I did settle on the .308win caliber, but I see 3 models that all seem interesting on their website, so if any of you shot them or handled them and can give a bit more info it would be really helpful.

1st is the 12 VLP DBM(18470), 26"SS heavy barrel, detachable box, 10lbs, accu trigger, no accu stock. msrp $1052

2nd, is the 12 FVSS (01288) 26SS heavy barrel, internal box, 8.75lbs, accu trigger, no accu stock. msrp $865

3rd is a 16FCSS, its in the weather warrior series, 22" SS barrel, detach box, 6.9lbs, accu trigger, accu stock. Msrp $801. (thought about the 116FCSS in 300mag, but since I don't plan to hunt and only punch paper at 200-400yrds, seems way overkill on power and ammo cost, even if I loved the 300mag I shot a few years ago)

So here's my dilemma. price wise they're all pretty close, mostly #2 and #3. #3 has accu stock but I don't know if that matters much between the 2. Only thing I don't like about #2 is the internal box, I prefer detachable, and maybe the black stock(same on #3). While #1 has detach box and laminated stock instead of the molded black plastic type. Surely #1 and 2 are the better for accuracy, but for at most 400yrds, maybe the 16 FCSS is plenty accurate? Also wondering if that 16FCSS is easy enough to switch over the a heavier barrel in the future, or if the accu stock makes that an issue with that other barrel size with properly fit in there?

I found some reviews on the 16 and 116, people seem to like them, but found no comparison to the 12 series, and not much feedback on those 2 particular ones, not sure if they're new models to the line up or what.

So, big thanks for any light you can shine on this, or just play say which you'd buy :)

Next... scope shopping, I still know next to f-all about those, had been thinking of playing with open sights since its just 200-400yrds.

I had a 12 BVSS that was an unreal shooter, straight out of the box as is my 10FCP.

Savage builds a helluva a rifle for a box stock rifle.

I have two 12VSS's, one in .204, other 22-250.
Both consistently shoot under 0.5" with hand loads.

They usually out shoot a 6mm Br that I paid 2X Savage price for!
To be fair to the 6mm I have not fully developed loads for it.
It is a lackluster performer on the usual "go to" loads.

I am considering a Savage action, Right hand/left port for another 6mm BR

End of babble:)

I kinda thought there would be a little more feedback on them overall.

I didn't find much on putting a different barrel on the models with Accu-stock yet. Seems it should be doable so long as the main larger OD is kept the same all the way to the end eh?

I bought a 112 FVSS-S in '92.

It is a .223 cal. single shot, bolt action. I had read where the single shot was more rigid, because of extra metal that isn't removed in the bottom of the receiver.

The rifle is a long action, stainless heavy barrel, synthetic stock and is REAL heavy.

I did some adjusting on the trigger, and it is about 2lb pull now.

This gun will put 5 shots in a dime @ 100 yards, with hand-loads.

Store-bought ammo will do about 5/8" group at 100 yds.

It is set-up for me, but everyone that shoots it likes the way it feels/shoots.

Good luck with your purchase,

JAckal:cheers:

Last edited:
12FLV chambered in 22-250.

For me savage was a good choice as I shoot left-eyed and they're one of the
very few manufacturers that do left handed actions these days.

With store-bought ammunition, on a good day it's inside of a dime at 100 yards, on
a bad day maybe 5/8 inch. Most of that variation is behind the scope I would say,
not under it.

I've been meaning to get the correct tools to a) measure the trigger pull, which seems
a bit heavy to me, and b) maybe adjust it a tad.

Expensive to shoot at about a buck a round but still fun.

Oh yeah, it has the internal box magazine, although I've never used it - tend to shoot
one round at a time. And, it seems to be a very no-nonsense solid gun. No fussiness
at all. Black nylon stock, accurtrigger, heavy barrel. Very heavy.

Savage Selections

Hi,

You did very well selecting the 308 caliber. It's a very forgiven round. The barrel life is much longer when using this round.

Below is what I find on GB. Savage makes good rifle. I would prefer the pre-threaded barrel setup. Just in case you want to get the suppressor in the near future. It's really nice to put a sub-sonic round 308 through one of those Savage rifles with the suppressor. I like the HS-Precision stock better (more rigid and sturdier) than the original accu-stock. It seems a little easier to change the barrel from Savage action when comparing to the famous Remmy 700 action.

SAVAGE 10FCP 308 TACTICAL W/ THREADED BARREL 5R : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Savage 10 FCP W/ 5R Rifling 24" Threaded 10FCP HS : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Good lucks,
hdt

Not to place too fine a point on it, but any new Savage high power rifle in the 110/11/12 series will shoot better than you can hold it right out of the box. Choose the features that float your boat. You will be please with the rifle. Regards, Clark

"... the 308 caliber. It's a very forgiven round. The barrel life is much longer when using this round."

Does this statement also apply to the .308 Winchester derivatives: the .243 Winchester and the .358 Winchester?

How about a putative .22-308?

Thanks for the replies, sounds like it would be hard to go wrong with any of them. Probably gonna stick to a model 12 but I'll check what's available in Canada for their model 10's. .308 will definitely be plenty for my needs, but there's just part of me what loves the 300magnum, too bad they don't offer it in the model 12 with 26" barrel(there's the .300WSM, but short mag doesn't interest me). But with winter coming I kinda have until spring time. I like to take my time shopping and when comes time to buy, I've generally always been pleased with the result.

I'm not planning to hunt, main goal is to have a hobby again, always liked guns and shooting but never had time the last few years. I'll probably check out one place with a 900yrd range, seems to be the longest around.

I wish I'd found a little more info on if there's technical differences between the action on the model 12, vs their law enforcement model 10 series. Colors different, but not sure of bolt size, material, and the what not.

Hello Sealark37 or Thermite
With apologies to SND for hijacking your thread.
What about the Axis XP series? Any thoughts on this one? What about spending the extra $ for the SS barrel?

SND,

If you're not gonna hunt and are not going into competitive shooting then why not first decide on a caliber and THEN on a rifle to launch the bullet?

Personally, after about 20 rounds (or even less) shooting ANYTHING that is loud and/or has significant recoil is not fun. Given noise or recoil though, I'd take recoil. That's why the round I hate the most is the .223 or 5.57mm if you will. Deafening.

In my experience the most fun center-fire plinking round is the Russian 7.62x39mm. Ballistically about like a 30-30 (which is just as much fun) they are cheaper to shoot than anything I know. At least down in the American south. I am told that even the AR-15 rifles can be had chambered for this round.

Of course if a $1000 dollar Savage rifle in 308 is what makes you happy then that's the end of it. But I cannot imagine including "a day of shooting .308" and "fun" in the same sentence. The 7.62x39 cartridge is sort of like a big boy's .22 rimfire.

Them's my thoughts. Sorry to intrude.

Vernon

Back