What's new
What's new

Muzzle Brake, compensator or whatever you want to call it...

ChuckHolmes

Aluminum
Hey folks, what is the best material to use to make a muzzle brake for a .300 Win Mag? I have seen various steels and aluminum used. I plan to make it a clamp on style if that makes a difference. Also what should the bore size be for a .300 brake? I've seen .310 to .375 called out. Way too many variables...

This is my design.

Brake.jpg

Chuck

4140 pre hard machines nice and is adequate for that. It is what I typically make my brakes out of. Be advised, you can easily choke your bore with that style clamp. You do not need 6 screws. You could choke the bore with 2 screws.

Here's one very similar I made a few years back. It was machined from 4140 pre hard and then finished with black-oxide

And this one from the same material. An AI inspired brake but mounts with Badger Ordnance FTE dimentions.

muzzle profile:

Hey folks, what is the best material to use to make a muzzle brake for a .300 Win Mag? I have seen various steels and aluminum used.

The "best" material for a muzzle brake, from an erosion standpoint, would be any 100 series copper alloys. But the cost is stupid and makes it not worth it...

Aluminum works but has 2 issues. First it erodes more readily than copper OR steel. Second aluminum is subject to cracking under repeated stress. It is used in some brakes simply because it is easy to work and in the "pepper pot" (tube full of holes) designs cracking is minimized.

Steel is my first choice and given your design would be what I would recommend. As to alloy... Just about any steel alloy is stronger than MOST aluminum alloys so it does not really matter from a strength stand point if you use 1018, 4140 or 8620... PERSONALLY... I use 4140 pre-hardened for any part that will be seen. The reason for 4140HT is that it takes a nice bluing (I don't know what finish I may want 10 years from now and 4140 leaves my options open) and I find it actually gives a better finish off the mill or lathe than annealed 4140.

Other than the fact that I get a better finish off the mill or lathe, there is NO reason why a brake should need to be hardened steel.

I plan to make it a clamp on style if that makes a difference.

Should make no difference as far as material is concerned... Clamping force should not be a big issue either. Alignment would be the thing I would be concerned with. See below.

Also what should the bore size be for a .300 brake? I've seen .310 to .375 called out.

Normally 0.010" - 0.024" over bore is optimum. Less seems to effect accuracy and more seems to effect both accuracy and efficiency. HOWEVER, the only way to know for sure what is best is to try it.

As for the idea of a clamp on for a brake. Personally I would not try it. Assume you split the difference and go with a 0.016" over bore... That leaves 0.008" on each side of the bullet. Further assume that from the crown of the barrel to the exit of the brake is 3"... A misalignment of more than 9.16 minute of angle (.153°) would result in a collision with the brake. This is a scary small margin of error. Given the design I think it will be VERY hard to make this work. Keep in mind that the top of the brake is going to move more than the bottom of the brake as you tighten the screws. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying that I would not do it.

Way too many variables...

Yup... Trial and more trial... There is no room for errors. Even if the first 6 brakes you try do not work as you hope as long as there is not contact between the brake and the bullet you are still error free!

This is my design.

View attachment 99434

Chuck

Very nice design. I have three thoughts/comments.

First: It is not possible, from the drawing, to determine how wide the area between the ports at the top is. On the brake for my .338 Win Mag I left the web 0.170". I tend to over design things too. If it were me making this brake (and it is not) I would leave the web no less than 1/3 of the bore or 0.103". This is just MY opinion.

Second: I see that the ports are angled rearward. The best efficiency is usually achieved with a 20° - 30° rearward angle. Less than 20° requires wider openings on the ports and a longer overall brake. More than 30° causes turbidity in the gas flow and can not be corrected by altering the port dimensions.

Third: It is not clear from the drawing how the ports intersect the free-bore of the brake at the bottom. I do these cuts with a radiused end mill to intersect the free-bore as close to the web as possible. It should be it should be something like 0.004" - 0.006" off the bottom of the free-bore. Is this important? Frankly I'm not sure... I've always done them this way and it has always worked out for me.

As far as alignment issues with a clamp on brake, the barrel needs a straight shank turned parallel with the bore. While the barrel is still setup in the lathe, install the brake and single point bore the brake ID to ensure it is concentric with the barrel bore. .020" over bullet diameter should be fine for this length of brake as long as it is done with this method. Bore the ID of the brake clamping area so it will be a tight slip fit over this shank before slitting it.

As for the idea of a clamp on for a brake. Personally I would not try it. Assume you split the difference and go with a 0.016" over bore... That leaves 0.008" on each side of the bullet. Further assume that from the crown of the barrel to the exit of the brake is 3"... A misalignment of more than 9.16 minute of angle (.153°) would result in a collision with the brake. This is a scary small margin of error. Given the design I think it will be VERY hard to make this work. Keep in mind that the top of the brake is going to move more than the bottom of the brake as you tighten the screws. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying that I would not do it.

It is very simple to make a clamp on brake work. It has been done often. Maintaining alignment is as easy as it is with a threaded muzzle.

A bunch of great comments and suggestions. I guess I will need to do a little more thinking about this, change my design a little. I really like the idea of a threaded muzzle and a screw on brake shown by 300sniper, less chance of compressing the barrel and insures that everything lines up. I hadn't thought of boring the ID with the brake on the barrel to ensure concentricity of the bores. I will keep everyone posted on my progress and post some pics as I go.

Chuck

A few design changes to reflect a little of everyone's suggestions. Changed it to a screw on mount, changed the angle of the vent slots as well as added a radius to the slot bottom, tightened up the web thickness between slots and mitered the front end. Check out the photos and send me your critique.:D

Brake Bottom.jpgBrake Isometric.jpgBrake Side.jpgBrake Top.jpgHousing.jpg

Looks like a decently effective brake design. I'm going to build one for a rimfire (for looks mainly and to add a little barrel weight), Mind if I steal your design?

might I suggest ear protection, and don't be near reflective surfaces like steel sided pole buildings when you touch that sucker off, it looks LOUD!!! to me, but of course I could be wrong, I hope this is not for a hunting rifle where ear protection is commonly not used... if it were mine I would reverse the direction of the slots from a cup to a wedge.... push the gas more out in front instead of bringing around to the shooter. I have a browning BOSS 300 win mag,,, the gas from that cartridge is not to be underestimated...

might I suggest ear protection, and don't be near reflective surfaces like steel sided pole buildings when you touch that sucker off, it looks LOUD!!! to me, but of course I could be wrong, I hope this is not for a hunting rifle where ear protection is commonly not used... if it were mine I would reverse the direction of the slots from a cup to a wedge.... push the gas more out in front instead of bringing around to the shooter. I have a browning BOSS 300 win mag,,, the gas from that cartridge is not to be underestimated...

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't pushing the gas more out in front instead of bringing around to the shooter defeat the whole purpose of a muzzle brake? I mean, the barrel does a pretty good job of pushing the gas downrange in my experience.

I had thought about reversing the slots but I am trying to cut recoil more than sound. I will mostly be shooting at an outdoor range that we have on campus (250 meters), since I have been asked not to shoot it at the indoor range any more. Something about pictures falling off the other side of the wall next to the lane I was in. But either case I wear muffs and plugs when I shoot this or my Barrett M82.

defeat the whole purpose of a muzzle brake?
reversing the angles will still deflect the gas to the side and reduce recoil but not bring as much sound back to the shooter.... the purpose of that style brake is using high pressure propellent gas to "pull the weapon out". If you have ever been just to the side of a .50bmg with the style brake he is showing its brutal 20 feet off the line and 10-15 feet to one side but 20 feet straight behind the shooter is not bad at all. The noise is still there but you don't feel the muzzle blast.. I'd say make 2, try them and see which one you like best. I actually made a similar style brake for a .338 lapua once.... that thing was absolutely brutal but the customer loved it.

Be advised, you can easily choke your bore with that style clamp. You do not need 6 screws. You could choke the bore with 2 screws.

Is there an equation you use for diameter of barrel, bore and torque value for a clamp on? Or is there a value you like where you haven't seen degraded accuracy? I'm building a long range prone gun which will have a .75D journal at the front of the barrel for the sights but I'd like to be able to use that same journal for a clamp on break when using glass.

Maybe thread the muzzle for a .75-fine thread to screw on the muzzle brake and make a split thread cover that the front sight base can fit on and clamp at the same time.

Is there an equation you use for diameter of barrel, bore and torque value for a clamp on? Or is there a value you like where you haven't seen degraded accuracy? I'm building a long range prone gun which will have a .75D journal at the front of the barrel for the sights but I'd like to be able to use that same journal for a clamp on break when using glass.

If this is for NRA 'Any Sight' matches, a brake won't be allowed.

This is exactly what I made the brake in my first picture for. The muzzle end already had a shank turned down to .750" for a sight. the first op I did to the 4140 bar was bored the mounting ID so it had to be lightly pushed on by hand. I then machined the rest of it. After the brake was finished, I installed the barrel in the lathe and dialed in the muzzle. I then snugged up the brake where it was timed correctly and single point bored the exit hole.

I'm sorry though, my only equation used for torque on a clamp brake is snugging up the screws until it no longer turns freely by hand. If I can't turn it without making a white knuckle fist, it is tight enough. It really doesn't take any where near the normal torque for that size screw so you should keep an eye on it regularly to make sure they aren't coming loose.

Back