What's new
What's new

My first full build

skeeks

Aluminum
Got my Tempest and went down to a buddies shop to borrow his lathe. Got all set up and went to work. This is my 4th barrel I've done. I am learning more each time I do it. If you guys have any advice please let me know!

I have more video's of the complete building process from parting to reaming on youtube. All the videos are pretty short. Feel free to check them out.

Cutting threads

Threads
IMG_3564_zpsvwafsyua.jpg

Good to go!
IMG_3567_zpsji5axg7c.jpg

Completed build
FullSizeR_1_zpsiqzcduud.jpg

IMG_6812_zpsa4f80092.jpg

Had some issues at first but finally got them figured out. It shoots pretty good. I'm happy with it. This was during load development with the newish Nosler 140 RDF's.

JAE stock, Proof Stainless M24 contour barrel, Area 419 Hellfire brake, Bix'n Andy trigger, MPA 1 piece mount, Premier Heritage 5-25, Atlas PSR, bipod, GAP Tempest action, chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor with a JGS reamer.

Looks great. My only suggestion would be to have your barrel further into your cathead.

Thanks Butch, I'll definitely do that next time. I need to build up some more confidence. I am always nervous I am going to crash threading, especially on a borrowed lathe. I may be getting my own soon, then lots more practice and more barrels in my future!

An easy way to get nice threads with out the danger of a crash is to thread away from the shoulder.

Just turn your tool up side down and run the lathe in reverse. You can run at a much higher rpm with no worries.

Gary

Back