What's new
What's new

New caliber?

eskimo1

Plastic
If i have a 8x57 JS and want to make a 8mm-06, how do i indicate the barrel in the lathe? Can i assume that the old chambering is round?

eskimo

I would indicate it just like any other chambering job - as true as you can get it. The chances are that the 8-06 reamer will want to follow the existing hole so if there is anything amiss with the chamber now there is not much you can do to correct it other than shortening the barrel and recutting the thread and a new chamber. I'd use a floating reamer holder just to make sure you don't snap off the reamer.

Neither the 8x57 nor the 8-06 are known for their great accuracy so I doubt if a little mis-alignment is going to make much difference.

JMHO

Ray

I would indicate on the the barrel between centers to see if it runs true,if not turn a small area true on the outside of the barrel maybe 1/16 wide where the shoulder meets the receiver and use that to indicate the barrel true to recut the chamber.That is the way my teacher taught me to do it.By he way, he beat the former Bench rest champion of the world in his second match he ever shot in his life with a Rem 700 action and laminated stock.I think he knows what he is doing.Parallel and perpindicular!

8 x 57 is plenty accurate if you can find good bullets. Nobody makes MatchKings for 8 mm. But the regular Sierras are pretty good. It's not going to be a .308 but 8mm-06 will be a good hunting cartridge. You should be able to get 1 MOA from a Mauser action in a custom stock.

cheechako,

<<floating reamer holder>>

I hear this term "Floating" all the time. Can you explain this to me or provide a link? There isn't one listed in the few catalogs I have.

Why? What for? Is there much use/other use for this Gizmo?

Regards, Ken

cheechako,

I hear this term "Floating" all the time. Can you explain this to me or provide a link? There isn't one listed in the few catalogs I have.

Regards, Ken

It is a tool holder that allows lateral float so the reamer can follow an off center hole. In my opinion the best industrial floating reamer holder were Glenzer and Scully Jones.
Scully-Jones Floating Adapter Holder Morse No.4 Taper 73312

GLENCO GLENZER Type-F 657 B Floating Tap 5/8" Shank

One vendor of chambering reamers offers a floating holder that kind of resembles the Glenzer, but without the anti-friction bearings. Scully Jones and Glenzer holder are becoming scarce.

cheechako,

Regards, Ken

It is a tool holder that allows lateral float so the reamer can follow an off center hole. In my opinion the best industrial floating reamer holder were Glenzer and Scully Jones.
Scully-Jones Floating Adapter Holder Morse No.4 Taper 73312 | eBay

GLENCO GLENZER Type-F 657 B Floating Tap 5/8" Shank

One vendor of chambering reamers offers a floating holder that kind of resembles the Glenzer, but without the anti-friction bearings. Scully Jones and Glenzer holder are becoming scarce.

You should be able to get 1 MOA from a Mauser action in a custom stock.

And better, now and then.

Posting from Sweden, he may even already have that, or the makings for it.

Presuming Elk family, I don't see the larger '06 case (presuming 8mm Gibbs) making a hill of beans difference, same projectile choices, hand loads according, vs the original cases in good brass. In its heyday, right after WWII's end flooded the US with Mausers, it basically DIDN'T. Ballistics looked good. Those who carried them, less so. Battered and worn .30-.30 and the odd 12-bore were still getting most of the meat.

As to decent as-is 8X57 for lighter game (our version of Elk or white-tailed deer, Appalachia) back when we were still a near-as-dammit all Mauser clan: no chamber mods, Norma brass, Noslers and Hornady, go for an all-weather stable and predictable load that doesn't change much with temps and doesn't make you flinch.

So ... how well does it shoot as it is right now?

To be honest with you, if you are using a Manson or clymer piloted reamer you could simply do it by hand since you not cutting a fresh chamber. It should only take 1/2 hour with a tap wrench. If you do you use lots of cutting oil and a old toothbrush and every 3-4 turns pull it out brush it off re oil it and use a air hose to blow out the chamber. Pretty easy

Back