What's new
What's new

New lathe! Thoughts?

skeeks

Aluminum
Hey gents, I just purchased my first lathe this morning. Its a Romi 13-5. I am very excited and am now in the process of trying to figure out how to get it from Detroit to Oklahoma in the least expensive way possible. I will likely end up making the drive to Detroit to pick it up and turn around and head back.
I was wondering if anyone out there had a copy of the manual (preferably a PDF) they could send me. I am not sure if this machine will include the manual.
I will use this machine for general barrel work through the headstock.
In the future I will equip it with DRO with plans for a rather interesting rigid reaming setup on the compound.
original.jpg

I am northeast of Tulsa if you need any help with barrel work or anything gun or machine related you are welcome to contact me.

Nick

I am northeast of Tulsa if you need any help with barrel work or anything gun or machine related you are welcome to contact me.

Nick

Nick, I'll definitely keep that in mind! I think I've got a pretty good grasp on it now after learning a thing or two from working with Wade Stuteville as well as some help from friends that are some quality smiths around the US. I'm a broke college kid and this will be a side gig for the time being. That said, I'd like to spend the next month or 2 making sure I have everything needed to cut a good chamber.

One step at a time though!

May I ask what type of machine you are running? I have been looking for someone near Tulsa to help out or apprentice under for a long time. I've done my own barrels for about a year now. I've done a handful and they have all shot well enough for my PRS rigs (typically around 1/4-1/2 moa at 100 with some ridiculous groups at 890 and 1000).

I use a Mori and a Whacheon also have a Nardini in the gun shop (I call it the Nardinky heheh!) it is actually a pretty good machine. I gunsmith on the side and own a machine shop/valve repair business. I will send you a PM you can communicate via email.

I use a Mori and a Whacheon also have a Nardini in the gun shop (I call it the Nardinky heheh!) it is actually a pretty good machine. I gunsmith on the side and own a machine shop/valve repair business. I will send you a PM you can communicate via email.

I was looking for a Nardini, but could not find one for the right price.

Nick is a very talented smith. He has done some beautiful work for me.

Just got the lathe back to Tulsa. Drove 15 hours there, loaded it, turned right back around and drove 15 hours back. I am tired. Time to educate myself on phase converts, VFD, rotary and all that good stuff.

What horsepower is the motor? A vfd may be a better option than a rpc expect to spend several hundred on the rpc even 1000 but a vfd may be found cheaper. I got some pretty savvy e techs around here so whichever you choose I'm sure it will work out.

Drove 15 hours there, loaded it, turned right back around and drove 15 hours back. I am tired.

Good to hear you made it back safely. But I do think it was worth an overnighter at Motel 6 or Super 8 in the middle.

Drove 15 hours there, loaded it, turned right back around and drove 15 hours back. I am tired.

Good to hear you made it back safely. But I do think it was worth an overnighter at Motel 6 or Super 8 in the middle.

There were 2 of us. It wasn't tooo bad, but I agree there.

What horsepower is the motor? A vfd may be a better option than a rpc expect to spend several hundred on the rpc even 1000 but a vfd may be found cheaper. I got some pretty savvy e techs around here so whichever you choose I'm sure it will work out.

I believe it is a 5ph motor.

Back