What's new
What's new

Nice Gunsmith lathe at IMTS

G-Auto

Hot Rolled
Saw this guy at IMTS today. What fought my eye was how much heavier it is that the typical manual machines available. I was told $16k. Note I am not affiliated with these people.

IMG_4407.jpgIMG_4408.jpgIMG_4409.jpgIMG_4410.jpg

Looks like a slightly shorter version of a Taiwanese machine at our shop minus the guard. In fact, take the Kingston badges off and I'd bet money. It's not bad but severally lacks any balls whatsoever at larger diameters which isn't really a problem for you gunsmith types.

I know $16 is a bit less than what we paid for ours but like I said I believe ours is longer.

Kingston lathes are one of the best Asian lathes. I wouldn't mind having that one at all!!:) I'd hope it will go slower than 35 RPM,however. You can't do large cast iron face plate work in the gap at that speed.

Kingston lathes are one of the best Asian lathes. I wouldn't mind having that one at all!!:) I'd hope it will go slower than 35 RPM,however. You can't do large cast iron face plate work in the gap at that speed.

That's when the VFD really shines.

There is no need to even think about powering a lathe with other than a VFD. They are just that nice.

Looks exactly like a Grizzly model I have used in a past life. It was great for gunsmith work. Didn't have much balls when I wanted to make some stainless sound suppressor baffles but it's just not the right tool for such a task.

Identical to Chinhung... and so many taiwanese lathes. good machines but these factories sure lack in originality!

I have a Kingston HJ-1700, bought it new about 5yrs ago, got a few thousand hours on it. It is a great machine for a reasonable price. There's 1 or 2 other builders that make a very similar looking machine, but of poorer quality and yes I've compared both in person. Kinwa/chin hung make the Kingston.

Although I use my kingston for my barrels, its actually not ideal because its a long headstock. About 25.5" to spindle face, with no chuck on.

Here is the floor model:

Kingston1.jpg

Kingston2.jpg

Kingston3.jpg

Kingston4.jpg

That thing looks robust, I would like to see the carriage be about 50% wider. Cross feed and compound look a bit light as well.
We've had two import lathes in the recent past that both had the same issue (an Enco and a Dashin Prince from MSC). Seems to be a trend of teaming a 15" lathes head stock up with a 10" lathes carriage.....

Nice lathe, but not for gunsmithing. Too long in the headstock for chambering barrels in the headstock. Not for me and I'll bet they are not giving them away either.

I can't tell from pictures, but if it's the same as the Grizzly I ran a bit, the screws on the back side were in just the right place to hold a 16" barrel. With nothing to spare. Shorter than that, and you just have to make a fixture to put into the chuck.

I can't tell from pictures, but if it's the same as the Grizzly I ran a bit, the screws on the back side were in just the right place to hold a 16" barrel. With nothing to spare. Shorter than that, and you just have to make a fixture to put into the chuck.

I think it is much wider than that. I'll bet if you had a cathead on both ends a 22" may be the longest that it can do in the headstock.

That thing looks robust, I would like to see the carriage be about 50% wider. Cross feed and compound look a bit light as well.

The carriage is about 17.5" wide, compound is 5" wide and about 12" long(top part that the tool post mounts to). Plenty solid and heavy for this size machine, 7.5hp and she's not scared of using it. Far from the other toys on the market.

Here's more pics of mine taken a few years ago before I got her all dirty...

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-1700-lathe-pictures-details-attached-213643/

Of course in a 17" lathe a longer headstock adds precision and strength. The bore appears to be 2 1/4" (http://www.machinetools4sale.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1118) which is what my Victor 1440 has, and in many ways this looks much like it. My victor has an oil pump in the same location and the two way valve for where the oil goes. For a 14" lathe the ways are very wide at 11 1/2", compared to every other 14" lathe I've looked at. I suspect mine may also be a copy of a Japanese lathe but was built in ROC.

This lathe is very nice, and the price reflects that.

Looks like a very very close sibling, but not a total clone, of the Chinese lathes widely available in the last 5 years. In the $10,000 to $15,000 price range, the clones are indistinguishable at arm's length once you get past paint job and knob style. My 16x40 7.5HP Precision Matthews is one of the clones.

This one is not a total clone of that category of lathe, but it's really very close.

Back