What's new
What's new

Rebarreling a 40 x rimfire

xtrarange

Plastic
I am starting to re barrel a 40 x. I have rebarreled a centerfire but have never done a rimfire. How do i get my head space of the .043? Do i cut the tendon and thread then cut amount off shoulder to get the correct head space?
Would it be better to bore the chamber and leave about .005 to the side so the reamer will not be over worked?

I"ll br asking a lot of dumb questions but i want this one to be a hummer, the barrel is on order from lilja, 15 weeks out
so i am doing my home work now.

I am starting to re barrel a 40 x. I have rebarreled a centerfire but have never done a rimfire. How do i get my head space of the .043? Do i cut the tendon and thread then cut amount off shoulder to get the correct head space?
Would it be better to bore the chamber and leave about .005 to the side so the reamer will not be over worked?

I"ll br asking a lot of dumb questions but i want this one to be a hummer, the barrel is on order from lilja, 15 weeks out
so i am doing my home work now.

If it was my own gun, I would use a cut rifled barrel .221 and .218 choke at the the end. (lead bullets are the only time I personally would use cut rifling) I would leave .010 clearance between the bolt and barrel and I would headspace it to a light squeeze over whatever cartridge I wanted to shoot. Light squeeze is slight pressure with no firing pin, trigger or spring. Talk to a rimfire guy or 100 before ordering that. Don't pre-cut 22 RF chambers. Cut it with one tool (reamer) ONLY.

People who swear by chokes and cut rifled barrels in lead bullet guns are nut cases! It defies all logic. I swear by it because of feedback. Cut rifling and lead good, cut rifling and jacketed bad. Choke and lead good, choke and jacketed bad. UGH!

If it was my own gun, I would use a cut rifled barrel .221 and .218 choke at the the end. (lead bullets are the only time I personally would use cut rifling) I would leave .010 clearance between the bolt and barrel and I would headspace it to a light squeeze over whatever cartridge I wanted to shoot. Light squeeze is slight pressure with no firing pin, trigger or spring. Talk to a rimfire guy or 100 before ordering that. Don't pre-cut 22 RF chambers. Cut it with one tool (reamer) ONLY.

People who swear by chokes and cut rifled barrels in lead bullet guns are nut cases! It defies all logic. I swear by it because of feedback. Cut rifling and lead good, cut rifling and jacketed bad. Choke and lead good, choke and jacketed bad. UGH!
Then you have your button rifled 22lr barrels with choke, I think my old "Match 64" Anschutz is one of those ?? Read in Precision shooting about guys having barrels mapped or air gauged and finding TWO chokes (not so good hehe)

Measure from the front of recoil lug to the front of the bolt and subtract .010 inch for clearance. Or if you want to eliminate the recoil lug, measure from the front of the action face to the front of the bolt and subtract .010. This will be the thread extension length.

Then measure from the face of the bolt where the cartridge face fits to the recoil lug face or action face. This will be your headspace measurement. Cut that in the machine with your reamer until you are .010 inch short on the go gauge.

Install the barrel on the action with a wrench and take out all crush.

Remove the barrel and cut the chamber by hand with the reamer a thousandths of an inch at a time and reassembling the gun until the ammo you wish to shoot will just close the bolt with slight pressure with your thumb.

Interresting the choke on rimfire barrels I never heard of it. If it makes better accuracy why not.

On another note, I've been trying to contact you speerchucker in PM but I am getting a message of a full mailbox. Just let me know if there is any other way to contact you in private. THX

GST

Interresting the choke on rimfire barrels I never heard of it. If it makes better accuracy why not.

On another note, I've been trying to contact you speerchucker in PM but I am getting a message of a full mailbox. Just let me know if there is any other way to contact you in private. THX

GST

Choking with lead bullets has been used for years. Ben Taylor at Theoben Air Rifles dug up and reintroduced the technology and developed a system to crush paradox/rifle a barrel using a modified ER type collet system. Walther now paradox/rifle chokes a lot of their high end air gun barrels. I have had a couple Theoben air guns and they seam to shoot quite well.

I emptied my email box GST. It should eliminate the problem.

Back