What's new
What's new

Opinions wanted regarding ITAR

grampajack

Plastic
I'm wanting to start a business that would deal exclusively with assembling ar15 uppers for people, from parts they would provide themselves. I would only be providing assembly service, and would not be actually selling or manufacturing anything at all. People would send me their parts and I would send them back a completed upper.

Now the DDTC has already ruled in an opinion letter that assembling uppers doesn't require registration, so I'm good on that front.

HOWEVER, I'm also wanting to offer several services that would be in a gray area. These would be dimpling a barrel for a gas block, pinning a gas block, and pinning and welding a muzzle device.

So after researching the various regs and opinions from the DDTC, these are my conclusions:

My business would fall under "defense services," meaning I wouldn't have to register as long as I only provide the service to US residents. This being that I would be assisting my customers in the assembly of their ar15. Even if the machining jobs were deemed to be manufacturing, assisting with manufacturing is also covered under "defense services." Again, I will not be building uppers for resale, but only working on customer parts. In other words, I will not have to collect sales tax for anything I do.

IF somehow this is deemed to fall under manufacturing and not defense services, and that's a very big stretch, according to DDTC guidelines it's only manufacturing if it results in an enhanced capability. I understand enhanced capability to mean that the firearm can do something it couldn't do previously, like shoot a different caliber, take a muzzle device, etc. I fail to see how anything I propose doing, i.e. pinning a gas block, could result in an enhanced capability.

Well, that's my story. I just wanted to run this by you guys and see if I've missed or overlooked anything. It's a big set of regs, and there are a lot of moving, self contradictory parts to it.

For the record, I have sent a letter to DDTC asking for their opinion, but I pretty much expect either to arbitrarily be told I have to register, or otherwise not receive a clear answer. So yea, I'm not expecting much help from them.

I was also curious, have any gunsmiths actually been prosecuted under ITAR as of yet? I'm just wondering if there's any actual case law to support the DDTC's opinions. Because, quite frankly, their opinions regarding gunsmithing are not supported by the actual regulations on the books. They're just arbitrarily making it up as they go along. But without case law, it's hard to know how much of it could actually be made to stick.

I'm going to be starting a similar business soon, though specifically and solely for the purposes of assembly. My understanding of ITAR is that the use of any sort of specialized machinery (machine tools, welders, etc) equates to manufacturing and the business owner must register with ITAR. Remember that ITAR must be paid even if you only do one instance of manufacturing.

As far as prosecutions go, I have not seen any that I'm aware of. an 07 FFL that I know spoke to his ATF IOI and said that most small time gunsmiths aren't worth going after by the DDTC because they simply aren't making enough money for it to be worth the DDTC's time to prosecute. With that being said, I wouldn't want to be the first example, so I would play it carefully.

I'm going to be starting a similar business soon, though specifically and solely for the purposes of assembly. My understanding of ITAR is that the use of any sort of specialized machinery (machine tools, welders, etc) equates to manufacturing and the business owner must register with ITAR. Remember that ITAR must be paid even if you only do one instance of manufacturing.

As far as prosecutions go, I have not seen any that I'm aware of. an 07 FFL that I know spoke to his ATF IOI and said that most small time gunsmiths aren't worth going after by the DDTC because they simply aren't making enough money for it to be worth the DDTC's time to prosecute. With that being said, I wouldn't want to be the first example, so I would play it carefully.

So you will just be assembling uppers?

I too thought that machining always constituted manufacturing when I first read it. If you only pay attention to the exemptions in the 2016 letter, then it appears that way. However, if you go down to what does require registration, they qualify special tooling and machining by saying IF it results in an enhanced capability.

a) Use of any special tooling or equipment upgrading in order to improve the capability
of assembled or repaired firearms;

e) The machining or cutting of firearms, e.g., threading of muzzles or muzzle brake
installation requiring machining, that results in an enhanced capability;

So in the end it all hangs on the definition of "enhanced capability."

"I'm wanting to start a business that would deal exclusively with assembling ar15 uppers for people, from parts they would provide themselves."
You are about 10 years late to the party.

"I'm wanting to start a business that would deal exclusively with assembling ar15 uppers for people, from parts they would provide themselves."
You are about 10 years late to the party.

DNB. "Do Not Bitch".

Pray, rather than said party continues...

Think of how many millions of those fadd-ish flavour-of-the-week POS'en have served to keep "tactical" wannabees away from f*****g with the used market for actually desirable firearms that were built right in the first place and do not NEED messed with by amateurs.

In case you haven't noticed, this is a gunsmithing/machinist forum, not a legal forum. I doubt anyone here can give a binding opinion on this convoluted law. What we really need is for President Trump to issue an XO that fully rescinds the opinions generated by Obama and Company, especially since the treaty was not approved by the US Senate. That would clarify things.

Last edited:
IMO....
Your "gray" areas aren't gray at all.
They're Gunsmithing, both under BATF and DDTC...
Pinning and welding brakes has always been smithing. Soooo, you need an FFL which you didn't even mention (?).

Under new guidance, these smithing activities also fall under DDTC registration requirements. I posted this link on another thread here recently:
DDTC Issues Guidance on ITAR Registration | Prince Law Offices, P.C.

Assembling uppers? Minimal investment in tools, usually a DIY for most...
If they can't assemble an upper (much less the complete firearm), they're likely not capable of purchasing all the compatible parts required for the build. You're likely to get a carbine length gas tube with a 20" barrel....

Back