What's new
What's new

OT bullets colliding

With the billions of bullets fired all was possible, though more likely the bullet hit another bullet already on the ground.

SpittedBullet.jpg

I think this is a fraud. Notice the spitted bullet has no rifling.

And the orientation seems unlikely.

chances of hitting a bullet with a bullet is pretty good when you've got 200 of them strapped to your chest.

the impact would have pulled the bullet out of the casing

chances of hitting a bullet with a bullet is pretty good when you've got 200 of them strapped to your chest.

Someone could have been shooting at a machine gunner and hit the belt. The probability of that is reasonable.

When giving out awards for events like rallies, the local Antique Motorcycle Club gave a Gallipoli award for the most futile performance. The first one was to someone who had two bikes in the rally, riding one and loaning the other to a girl. Both DNFed.

Bill

During the Civil War, at least, it happened with enough frequency that a there are several on display at some of the battlefields. These are mid-air collisions;
https://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=civil+war+bullets+colliding&v_t=loki-keyword

The two in the OP are probably the result of a bullet striking an unfired round, not a mid-air collision. The un fired bullet does not appear to be a hollow point, it is just the shading of the photo.

Good catch, GGaskill, on noting that there are no rifling marks so this was an unfired bullet when it was struck.

I 100% agree, and since cartridges were carried in 5 round stripper clips in cloth bandoliers the likelihood of this happening was actually probably high.

My guess is that this was a souvenir of someone who survived but likely not without injury. Damn that must have hurt!

In a past incarnation I made machines to process hematocrit capillary tubes. We started with long lengths of tubing and cut it into 75 mm pieces, fire polished the ends and marked them with a fill line. The cutting method was like window glass cutting, scratching with a carbide wheel and bending to crack it off. The cutters did about 200 per minute. The pieces slid down a chute to a bin. One of the chutes had a hole only a few thousandths larger that the tubes and off the main track. To stick in the hole a piece would have to flip up perpendicular to the chute and hit centered within a few thousandths. The odds against that seem astronomical, but it happened every few days.

Bill

Back