What's new
What's new

OT: Mystery tool

mickri

Plastic
This came with my craftsman lathe model number 28910.. I have searched online to no avail to figure out what it is and what it is used for. It appears to be made to fit on the ways. But it does not fit precisely to the ways like a steady rest does. The part with the rubber/soft plastic tip can either fit the way shown in the photo's or perpendicular to the arm it attaches to. There is a part number 8-482.
So what is this and what is it used for?

Chuck

Attachments

• IMG_3388.jpg
    IMG_3388.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_3387.jpg
    IMG_3387.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 448
It looks like a base for a tooth rest from a tool and cutter grinder on some type home made base. The photo is not clear enough to make out what is stuck in the base.

It is definitely not home made. The plastic tip was stuck on so I had never got it off. Did not want to break it trying to get it off. Got the plastic tip to come off with a little wd40. There is a tiny very sharp tip. Might be a diamond. Can't tell. The lathe did come with a tool post grinder. So wesg appears to have the best guess as a dressing diamond for a tool post grinder. The tip has "Accurate 9-646" stamped on it. I tried a search for that but did not find anything.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Chuck

I had posted this same question on another forum and my mystery tool was identified as a diamond tipped dresser for an atlas tool post grinder. The mystery is solved.

Back