What's new
What's new

Pistol barrel shortening

MGInc

Plastic
Hello,

In need of a machinist to shorten 9mm Luger barrels. If interested please message.

Boss reamed, barrel cut to 2" and sleeved, boss pressure fit back onto end of barrel, barrel tapered to boss. (see image)
Thank you,
Gary

Luger-2-Short-Barrel.jpg

Have you shot one with a barrel like this? Does it function well?

And not quite clear on what's going on here.

There are additional modifications necessary but it will function. I am unclear as to what you do not understand.

I would be interested.
A few more details are needed. How many units do you figure you will be doing? What is your budget for this work on a "onesy-twosy" basis with short turn around?

You couldn't afford to pay me what I would want to take on that job. If you are worried about keeping the guns numbers matching by retaining the boss, then you are obviously working matching numbers guns. I have no interest in ruining rare pieces of history.

To do the job properly, and at high enough quality to keep Luger snobs happy, it would take me most of a day of fooling with the first one. If I screw up one of your precious 'numbers matching' bosses, neither of us is going to be happy.

Even if I went through the effort of making a jig to hold it, it's still an hour or two of my time per barrel. I can't imagine that there are enough people stupid enough to want to keep their numbers matching Luger matching while ruining a collectible gun to be worth the effort.

If you really want it done, I'll charge you my consulting fee of $1000 per hour, plus expenses. I'll look at the sample you send me for a couple weeks, and tell you 'no' after sending you a bill large enough to pay for my daughter's college tuition.

You couldn't afford to pay me what I would want to take on that job. If you are worried about keeping the guns numbers matching by retaining the boss, then you are obviously working matching numbers guns. I have no interest in ruining rare pieces of history.

To do the job properly, and at high enough quality to keep Luger snobs happy, it would take me most of a day of fooling with the first one. If I screw up one of your precious 'numbers matching' bosses, neither of us is going to be happy.

Even if I went through the effort of making a jig to hold it, it's still an hour or two of my time per barrel. I can't imagine that there are enough people stupid enough to want to keep their numbers matching Luger matching while ruining a collectible gun to be worth the effort.

If you really want it done, I'll charge you my consulting fee of $1000 per hour, plus expenses. I'll look at the sample you send me for a couple weeks, and tell you 'no' after sending you a bill large enough to pay for my daughter's college tuition.

A completely asinine reply.

I’ve no time for idiocy.
Looking for a few trustworthy men competent to complete this small and on-going job, other jobs also available.
Resident of Florida is a plus (shipping), Tampa Bay area, a major plus.
Please reply if interested.

ALL of the weight in a Luger is in the grip end. Iwant to make a LONGER barrel for mine,more like a Naval or Artillery Luger. With no weight on the barrel end,I find mine hard to shoot at targets very accurately. I do shake some,and need the weight.My Luger does have an acceptably light trigger pull. With my longer barreled pistols,I do a lot better. Even with 7 1/2" Colt Peacemakers.

Not sure what your purpose is. A luger is a bit large for a "belly gun".

A luger is a bit large for a "belly gun".

Given that the Luger's "toggle" action has long been known to want full-power ammunition to function reliably even with the "standard" ground-army barrel length? Converting more of the propellant to muzzle blast and flash than "push" is counterproductive.

You have your sights set too high, Geo.

Not a "belly gun", a shortened Luger. Lower down.

A "nut" gun.

:D

Turning a blank would be easier.

Definitely. Write the program and do it on a CNC lathe including the chamber. For me, minimum order would be one blank's worth. Onesy/twosey wouldn't cut it.

OT but related, do Lugers have problems working with silencers (I know they are called suppressors now but I read frequencies in megacycles and little condensers in micro micro farads)?

Bill

OT but related, do Lugers have problems working with silencers (I know they are called suppressors now but I read frequencies in megacycles and little condensers in micro micro farads)?

Bill

I'd consider it probable. Toggle-action wants the entire barrel "assembly" to recoil, not all that far, but very "sharply" so. It has to unlock the toggle, AND have smacked it hard enough to transfer enough energy it continues rearward to do its job.
Adding mass and its inertia would tend to reduce the peak impetus at the crucial start of that process.

Browning and similar actions have a far more massive "slide" to carry that energy. Toggle is.. well.. "different". Very.

Borchardt developed it G. Luger slimmed it down as an improvement. "Many" copied it - near-as-dammit exactly, as they mostly HAD to do. It isn't a particularly "forgiving" system.

Not personally aware of anyone who actually bothered to try to improve it any further, let-alone "port" it to new designs. Too expensive to "get it right", too vulnerable to too many interfering influences vs a large count of more rugged - and usually much CHEAPER to make - alternatives, Browning link & Petter plate-cam lockup systems & clones highest on that list.

FWIW-not-much-dept. Those "silenced Luger's" seen in "the movies"?

Often as not one of the several .22 LR look-alikes. Not just because stage-props are cheaper that way, either. Field experience.

Rather more effective than one might believe, the all-lead .22 LR is for up-close-and-personal wet-work.

Besides the additional weight, I was thinking about the muzzle brake effect of trapping the gases.

It must take a lot more energy to unlock the Luger toggle than a Browning lock.

Most of the silencers I see in movies are a joke. Come to think of it, The Men From Uncle had shortened barrel P38s with a tiny silencer that could not have possibly contained the gas from a 9 mm.

Bill

Back