What's new
What's new

Threading bolt handle for tactical knob

maynah

Stainless
I need to thread the handle and want to make a jig or fixture to do more than just one brand of handle. Does anyone have a way to do it? I have a Wilton Pow-R-arm work holder that I never use and was thinking of using that to make an adjustable holder that will swivel and pivot all around. I've seen what they use on the handle makers web site, but they don't look to be universal. Any ideas? Thanks

Go to BR.Com and click on the gunsmith forum. Do a search and you will find a few setups.
Butch

Bolt turning Jig

see attached:

Attachments

• Bolthandlejig008.JPG
    Bolthandlejig008.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 5,890
We just hold the bolt in a set of V-blocks in the vise. then just grind a HSS boring bar to cut on the inside. if you just got one or two to do it might save you the trouble of making a fixture. if you want i can email pic's of the set-up

Jake

Rustystud, do you by any chance have a dimensioned print or could you create one for your jig?

I know this is sacrilege and may get me booted off a "Machinist" forum but I have done a couple by hand. Grind the knob to a round extension of the handle, thread it with a 1/4 x 28 die and screw the new knob on. If you are handy (most all of us are) you should be able to do a nice neat job that will look like it was done with expensive tooling and jigs. I can do one in less time than it takes me to line everything up in a jig or 4-jaw. Well, almost as fast. ;)

I like to call such things "old world craftsmanship" but it's probably more a case of "being lazy."

JMHO

Ray

Great ideas guys. I like that setup of holding the bolt on the cross slide. I guess you could cut a dovetail on the back of the holding block and mount it on a quick change tool post. That would make vertical adjustment easy. Jake, post your picture right here. Always like to see how someone else figures out a problem. Thanks, Jeff

Whoa,
Never in a lathe here. Simple V block for rt or left hand bolt. Vertical circ interp and thread. 20 minutes start to finish with a cup of joe, max. Any bolt.

Alan

Bolt Knob Jigs

I have made several some are Remington specific. Some are universal. The universal can do both right and left handed bolts.
I just make them out of a piece of 2" 12L14 round stock and make the hold down straps from .50 X 2.o flt stock. all the screws are .250 X 20tpi. Very crude but effective.
Nat

Thanks for some great ideas. I had an extra Phase II BXA-2 tool holder, so I milled some clearance on it and it holds any bolt very well. And that gave me an excuse to get a boring head. So I should be all set as soon as the head comes.

OK guys I need some help with the bolt I'm machining. My first set-up was the bolt in the BXA tool holder with my new boring head, (cheap import), in a 3 jaw chuck. The set-up wasn't rigid enough and the bolt head was bouncing around. So I decided to go with v-blocks in a Bridgeport vise on the Bridgeport. The instructions with the Badger knob give this as one way to do it.

The knob was still bouncing. One question I have is about the carbide tooling that came with the head. I don't use carbide very much and that might be part of the problem. The bolt is a new FN Winchester model 70 copy. It seems pretty hard and just dulls HSS. When I make a cut, sparks are coming off with the chips sometimes and the bolt is squealing. It's not a good cut at all. I know carbide likes to run fast but if I go too fast the bouncing is worse and common sense tells me to stop. I'm guessing I'm running about 500 rpm.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
Are those bolts known as being extra hard? I've thought of annealing the knob but of course that will harm the blueing a little. Thanks for any thoughts.

I'm in Norway Ben.
I solved my cutting problem by rotating the boring bar in the head to a better cutting angle. Now I'm finding running a die on the hardened bolt to be slow going. I think the lathe with a center in the knob and a carbide threading tool would be the way to go on a hardened bolt.

I'm in Norway Ben.
I solved my cutting problem by rotating the boring bar in the head to a better cutting angle. Now I'm finding running a die on the hardened bolt to be slow going. I think the lathe with a center in the knob and a carbide threading tool would be the way to go on a hardened bolt.

Where abouts? Oslo? I was trying to remember, but I don't think I've ever been to Norway, ME. The funny thing is, I've been to the country of Norway several times in the past year.

I've been to Paris a few times lately but not Oslo.

1144544366_a88b274d08.jpg

Just to finish this thread, here's what I ended up with. I could have used the other methods talked about but the hardened bolt needing carbide changed that.

DSCN3284.jpg

I did use my Wilton Pow r Arm in the 4 jaw chuck. Made up the fixture to hold the bolt. Also got to use my new boring head to bore the fixture. I can move it in all directions and should be able to do any bolt. Also had to get a carbide threading tool, and carbide center drill. There are probably better ways to hold a bolt but this worked well. It is a lot of mass spinning off center but I'm running so slow it doesn't matter. I just hope I need to use it for another bolt sometime.

Back