What's new
What's new

Presision Matthews lathes

RSC

Plastic
Anyone have experience with a PM-1440B? I thinking about buying that or the Grizzly G0709. The PM has more speed choices and a lager spindle bore. I hear more about the Grizzlys and don't know much about the PM.

I've got a PM1640, about 6 years old. It's at the upper end of the mainland Chinese lathes, but it's still a mainland Chinese lathe built to a limited cost. Functionally, it works fine, but "fit and finish" is marginal and there are a couple of rather crude design bits. I don't expect the Grizzly to be substantially better, or worse.

My mistake!! I didn't know about the exception in Gunsmithing. I just didn't want a new guy to get.... Well, you know.

I have seen some small PM mills...not a very good machine in my opinion as the ways looked milled and not ground or scraped. I had been told that PM was gong to make improvements, so they maybe better then they were 5 years ago. Never seen a PM lathe, but if the workmanship is like the mill as Stu says he isn't impressed. If your looking for an Asian machine, spend your money on a Taiwanese Industrial brand like Acer, Kent, Victor, Hwacheon, etc.. You get what you pay for. Rich

Measure tailstock quill diameter.

Whichever machine has the largest is the one to get.

I have seen 2 PM lathes that had such a skinny tailstock quill, that the Morse taper hole, was almost as large as ram... Run away...

I emailed Matt at Quality Machine Tools after Christmas about the PM-1340GT and he said he would be getting some new and improved models in March. You might want to call and see what he's expecting.

I have seen 2 PM lathes that had such a skinny tailstock quill, that the Morse taper hole, was almost as large as ram... Run away...
That's certainly not an issue with the PM1640. :) It's got an MT4 taper and lots of meat surrounding it. On the other hand, the tailstock clamping surfaces under the bed are a bit dodgy. Never quite sure if it's going to slide when I bear down with a large drill.

That's certainly not an issue with the PM1640. :) It's got an MT4 taper and lots of meat surrounding it. On the other hand, the tailstock clamping surfaces under the bed are a bit dodgy. Never quite sure if it's going to slide when I bear down with a large drill.

I had bought a 1770 new at my last job, and after I made sure all the grease was gone on the underside for clamping of the tail stock my slipping problem went away for the most part. I will agree though, the clamp setup sucks.

The Kent that our maintenance blacksmiths bought was a real POS! Teeny little Vee ways. You had to put in different gears in the gear train about 4 times or more to get the blasted thing to just cut the ENGLISH threads in the gearbox chart.

I have the PM 1340gt lathe and the PM935 mill. Both are made in Taiwan and are of very good quality. Stick with the Taiwan made machines and you'll be OK.

I bought a Grizzly G0509G primarily for chambering barrels. I am happy with it so far, with good tooling it will cut great threads and ream very good chambers. I had to go with an adjustable boring head (for a mill) to get the tailstock centered to the spindle bore. All else has been very good, no problems. (Except getting it out of the 40 foot delivery truck!)
willy

Back