What's new
What's new

Qt. Home made inletting black

alan c

Aluminum
Hello, I hav been using an inletting black I made for about 10 years. Read it in a old gunsmith book. It consists of petroleum jelly, lamp black, and mineral oil. I am just too stuborn to buy the suff. I read that cold cream could be used instead of the jelly. Any tips? Thanks, Alan

Dark color lipstick works well. It is easy to remove after you finish and generally smells better than the home brew stuff. You might have a female friend that has one or two to donate for trial.

RWO

I have a small oil lamp that i use to soot my parts with.
It works the best of everything i have tried but it is by no means perfect.

Tips

Thanks folks, I bought a tube of red lipstick to try. Did not realize how expensive the stuff is . $4 for the cheap stuff. Also, I was wondering if the old timers in the late 1800s used a lamp to soot up their work? It seems the thinner the "black" the closer the fit could be. I remember about 15 years ago,I used a red marking pen. It worked well. The stuff I made works good for most uses, But I plan to restock some fine doubles next summer. I also need to make some scrapers. Cheers,Alan

Alan, tear off a strip of regular old masking tape, double the sticky side back on itself, hold one end and light the other, gives off a nice black soot.
James

inletting

Ok, just dug out one of my older gunsmithing books by Roy Dunlap. He mentions the various methods and claims his best is a cream rouge in a shade of red. He says the best ones are not particularly greasy. Of coarse this is an old book and I am thinking cream rouges have changed through the years. I think the color red has its advantages, but I will try the soot method too. Thanks for everyones imput. Cheers,Alan

The old boys in Birmingham used to have gas loghts in the shop and then had a small glass spirit burner with a wick that was small enough to blow out. they lit the burner from the gas lamp and did the soot job then blew it out.
Peter

Back