What's new
What's new

Question about finishing AR lower with a drill press

jodifu6274

Plastic
Hi ! I have an 80% AR-15 lower receiver and jig from tactical machining, and I've been told that many people finish their lowers with a drill press. One poster at the TM forum (from TM) suggested that I drill out most of the rear fire control pocket with a drill bit, then plunge out the areas between holes with a 3/8" end mill. CNC guns makes a plate with pre-drilled holes (not made for the TM jig, but apparently can be modified for it), but it costs $125. As I'm only making one receiver, I'd rather not spend the $125 if I can get by without it. TM says that I can just drill within their top plate. Here's a link to the CNC tutorial: CNCGUNSMITHING - www.cncguns.com - AR15 80% Lower Receiver Tutorial
here's a link to the TM site:TacticalMachining.com • View topic - How to properly put the jig together (photo intensive)
How would you recommend I proceed with a drill press? Should I make some sort of template to replicate CNC's drill-milling jig, or just try to carefully place some 1/8" holes, then drill them out with a 3/8" drill as per the CNC tutorial? Do I need an xy table, or do you think I can get by with just a vise? Finally, what specific type of two-flute 3/8" end mill should I use? I know this probably seems sloppy and amateurish to most of you, but until I can afford a mill (which I'm working on), I'll have to rely on this for my first build. Thanks!

Back