What's new
What's new

question about self protection from cougars

Status
Not open for further replies.

motion guru

Diamond
We have a cougar that has taken up residence in the area and seems to have taken to our acreage in particular with half buried fresh deer kills behind our garage and last week, my 17 year old son was walking around near the back of our property taking photos for his HS photography class and turned around to find this cougar following him.

09282015_First_Photo.JPG

Yes, that is my son's shadow - the cougar was about 10 feet away when he took this photo. He was unarmed and only carrying the camera.

My son kept his head and slowly backed away - the cougar stayed put. He was able to get about 100 feet away and then ran to the house. My son was shaking like a leaf and got a dozen decent photos of the cat as he retreated. I think the cat was just curious at this point but I dont want to take any chances in future encounters.

I ordered some capsaicin bear repellent pepper spray for the immediate, but am thinking about a side arm that would allow quick and simple deployment in case the cat decides that people look like an easy lunch in the future.

I have been looking at the Ruger Judge and the Smith & Wesson Governor thinking that this gives some utility in terms of starting with shot loads and progressing to slugs / 45 caliber bullets should the animal continue to get closer. I would think that if the cat was wanting to try to take a human down that there wouldn't be a lot of time to respond.

Any advice among the Gunsmithing crowd? I have a Remington 700 BDL, 30.06, but kind of clumsy to carry around while working in the woods. I'd like something that is easy to carry, easy to shoot and can convince a cougar that easier meals can be had elsewhere.

Whoa! And I thought I had a problem with a skunk taking up in the shop! (Still do, but that's a little stink'in thing compared to a cat.)
I would ask the fish and game folks to see about relocation. You can't expect everyone in the family to be prepared and capable.

Pretty neat though!

While we all like to think that a gun is the ultimate protection I have heard and read that the "bear spray" has a better success rate thane guns do... against bears. Just a thought, but guns come with a lot of problems of their own. Either way you and your family need to practice with what ever you chose to protect your self with.
I would love to have a cougar come around once in a while, it would be a nice change from all the bears we get here.

I believe that, if they're in the mood for lunch, you won't have any warning that you're on the menu. Something you have to unholster and aim well may be too little too late. Convincing it to leave town, or hunting it down is probably the best bet. Legal? Don't know. Tactical shotgun may give you more of a fighting chance.

Chain mail taser-suit would work for some protection. Or, instead of the bear piss, just get the bear.

Chip

I think you have a very serious problem. If the cougar has already buried a partial deer carcass, then it has already staked your property as its territory. Being that your son came upon the cougar in daylight this close to your shop indicates that it is not afraid of humans.

This makes for a very dangerous predator since its behavior is already outside the norm. Contacting the DNR is the correct thing to do. The trouble is that depending upon the area, the DNR might not be considering your interests and safety as having precedence over the well being of the cougar. If the DNR is cougar friendly, it might complicate your other options in removing the animal.

The other alternative is to use other options from the beginning and not involve the DNR. I am not an advocate of circumventing the DNR but sometimes their policies conflict with human safety.

I contacted the dept of fish and game. They were pretty non-plussed, and basically said, yeah sure, email us a photo. I sent the email and received a call back within 5 minutes. The enforcement officer said that we had every right to take the cougar if we felt our safety was at risk and indicated that if another fresh deer kill presented itself that this would present the best opportunity to safely drop it from a safe distance. They were pretty concerned that the cat showed no fear of my son.

The last deer I didn't want stinking up the place and I picked it up with my Kubota with forks and carried it down to across the street and got it away from our home.

My Australian shepherd had kept wildlife away from our home the last 14 years, but she died of old age this summer and I have been surprised at how many rabbits, coyotes and now a cougar have moved in with no dog to keep them away.

Just my .02

That cat kills prey for a living. It looks to be in fine condition so must be good at it. I imagine you and your family members are less expert at the skills needed to win the fight.

My first choice would be to hunt and kill it. Put the odds on your side. Don't wait for it to make the first lethal move. I have a serious problem with animals of any species inhibiting my free and lawful use of my property. Any small children in your area?

Google "cougar attack". Many events to read about. Cougars go for the head and neck. Like many bad thing, cougar attacks happen real fast.

Edit: You posted #9 while I was typing. Glad to hear your F & G is supportive of your being proactive.

Since you're close enough to my neighborhood... I'd forgo the shot loads. If you want to scare it away use blanks instead. The cat will be back. If you're going to shoot it, no sense wounding it. I'd end the confrontation quickly. Then I'd dig a hole and bury it without telling a soul.... no sense having a platoon of bleeding hearts patrolling your business with signs and banners...

My guess is there are plenty of hunters who would like a cougar if you don't want to take it yourself. You could probably get it taken out of state if you wanted to.

I question the wisdom of introducing a dog into the equation. I think the cat would look at the dog as food.

As with any self-protection arm, use something you can make good hits with. Misses don't accomplish anything.

I'm a city boy. My shop is located thirty Min. outside of Boston in the sticks :) We have lots of wildlife around the shop one day I was curious and went out into the field across from our lot to check out a group of wild turkeys. I was promptly chased away and remain scared to death of them.
From everything Ive read and watched these animals for the most part want nothing to do with us and fear us just as much. They go out of the way to stay clear of us.

I think it's pretty scary that this one came so close and had no fear of your son. Take this serious.....I would arm everyone in the house and not let them out without protection. I would not worry about wildlife laws and would shoot on sight or if I felt threatened.

Take care of your family please...

Good luck

Ron

Dang , Im just to far away ! I would love to put my dogs on him ! I promise he would think twice before returning . Find yourself a houndsman , don't know your local wildlife laws regarding this , but I am sure any bear hunter or cat hunter can fix the problem very quick. Good luck , and be careful !

Lots of good comments- I think I would go on offense too and try to get him first.

The really good thing about this though is that I can't imagine anybody in the class will have anywhere near as good a picture and a great story to go with it!

Shotgun with buckshot or a pistol of at least .357mag. I carryed a 1911A1 .45 in Montana,because it was handier than my .44mag. It has to be something that you can shoot accuratly and will have on you at all times.

Seems like a "motion detector" :)
Of some sort or another might
Be in order here guru!
We here at my plc have alot of
Coyotes running the woods, never
Seen one here tho, I claim my
Pups( dogs) keep em at bay.
I would think you to be
Very very concerned with this
Turn of events sir.
Sad that a good lookin creature
As that cat needs to be dealt with.