What's new
What's new

Question on Cleaning My Lathe (Rusty)

Elalto

Plastic
Hi All,

I have a heavy Super Max LG-14X40 lathe that has not been used in about ten years. The lathe was in good condition when last used but now has a fine layer of surface rust on all non painted surfaces. I have a new lathe so I would like to sell the LG and need to clean it up.

What is the best way to remove the rust without damaging any of the surfaces on the lathe? Thanks for any all suggestions I would like to "clean" it up while not hurting it.

Marcos (elalto)_

Spray the unpainted surfaces with a light oil. WD40 will work. Let it soak for a few minutes. Using a plastic edge, like a credit card, scrape the rusted surface. You may have to repeat, but barring any serious pits, you will be rewarded with a clean, smooth surface. Remember to put a light coat of oil on the parts you have cleaned. Regards, Clark

Thanks guys, I used WD40 and some Scotch Brite pads and got it all cleaned up. Looks almost as nice as it did 10 years ago!

Thanks again

Hi Mr. Elalto, I recommend you thoroughly clean your ways because scotch-brite pads have abrasive particles embedded in the cellulose. When you scrub, the abrasive particles can be deposited onto your lathe and there they will start to wear away at it.

In general, scotch-brite is not recommended for cleaning precision surfaces because of its abrasive qualities. I'm glad you got your lathe de-rusted though; it's always nice to have your tools looking good. I'm in the process of cleaning up my lathe this week as well.

Back