What's new
What's new

Is this lathe worthwhile?

Michigander

Aluminum
I have a Hardinge (actually Elgin) split bed which has been very good for me to learn on, but is a little limited. The spindle hole on the headstock is right at the limit for barrel work, and there is no threading capability.

I came across this Clausing whith is listed as 13" with 48" between centers. Since I know nothing about Clausings, can you offer advice as to whether this is worth purusing?

I have a machinist buddy who can help me determine if the lathe is in good shape, but I didn't want to call him until I knew if it was worth going to look at.

Thanks

Chuck

Attachments

• Clausing.jpg
    Clausing.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 359
Take a look at it. I would personaly rather have a South Bend heavy 10 or a 13" but if it is in good shape it should handle gunsmithing jobs well. Gary P. Hansen

It looks like a decent lathe but condition means everything. Clausings are good lathes. They came with flame hardened bedways, Timpken bearing headstocks and the ever important 1 3/8" hole in the spindle. It should have a #5 Morse Taper headstock and a #3 Morse Taper tailstock. It would merit a very close look.

The Heavy 10 South bend is a fine lathe as well for the application but there again, condition means everything.

Just my .02.......

The picture is too small to be sure, but my father purchased one much like this, brand-new, in 1964 just for gunsmithing. It served him well for 25 years. When he passed away, I ended up with the lathe and I am using it, along with a Nardini, every day for barrel-work. There are certain features that the Clausing has that is quite handy for barrel-work.

I am a competition shooter, hunter, and plinker. I have a lathe and do ALL of my own gunsmithing.

I have noticed on this, and other threads about gunsmithing lathes, that a lot of emphasis is placed on headstock requirements because of barrel work like chambering and threading. I won't say that these things aren't important but I think too often we place too much importance on them. The average guy isn't going to make that many barrels in any one year, or over his lifetime for that matter. It's possible to do very accurate barrel work between centers and on a steady rest, most old-time gunsmiths did it that way and some of today's best still do.

So, my opinion is - put more emphasis on condition and accuracy of a used lathe, and especially on tooling, tooling, tooling. You cannot have too much tooling..

JMHO

Ray

Last edited:
Hi There,

That is a 5900 series Clausing lathe. They are a good Gunsmith lathe IMHO. The head stock
taper is actually a Morse # 4-1/2. The main drawback to the 5900 and 6900 series lathes
is that the lower variable speed sheave (pulley) is prone to wearing out. If caught before
the epoxy coating has worn off, it can be rebuilt at a reasonable cost but if the epoxy
coating is damaged, then it is a bigger problem. So, check this out before you buy.

As others have mentioned, condition should be your main concern.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

What would those features be?

Chuck

The infinitely variable, on the fly, speed is REALLY nice for several operations. When I am profiling between centers, the variable speed is nice to knock-out the resonance. I also use the variable speed for many threading jobs. You can run at a higher RPM for a better finish for most of the thread, and when you are nearing the shoulder, you can turn it down for an accurate stop.

The Clausing is the only lathe i've noticed that will cut 29 thds-IF I am remembering correctly. That thread is used in old Remington rolling block large actions.

What would those features be?

Chuck

When I was looking for a lathe to support my target shooting hobby, a gunsmith friend recommended the 5914 due to the lead screw clutch, which allows you to engage/disengage the lead screw at will, very handy while cutting threads, he said. I believe the clutch lever is the large lever protuding from the apron. Any 5914 fans/experts out there? Please jump in anytime and help me out :scratchchin:

I went the South Bend route, but only because that's what came along first.

Jeff

Hi There,

mendoje1 said:
When I was looking for a lathe to support my target shooting hobby, a gunsmith friend recommended the 5914 due to the lead screw clutch, which allows you to engage/disengage the lead screw at will, very handy while cutting threads, he said.

Actually, the clutch/brake lever engages and brakes the intermediate drive between the
motor and the spindle. This allows the operator to disengage the spindle and to stop it
rapidly without turning off the motor. Seeing that the gear train that drives the gear box
and hence the lead screw are driven from the spindle, it will stop the carriage too but it
isn't strictly a "lead screw clutch." It is a nice feature when threading up to a shoulder.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb

The Clausing is the only lathe i've noticed that will cut 29 thds-IF I am remembering correctly. That thread is used in old Remington rolling block large actions.

All CF Remington Rolling Blocks use a 12TPI square thread, only the No.4 rimfire(solid frame) uses a 16TPI "V" thread, the Takedown model, no thread, the barrel being held in by a tapered cross screw.

Paul

I wasn't talking about the barrel thread. Some of the screws in the frame are 29 thd.,if I remember correctly. My journeyman is always rebuilding rollingblocks.

Back