What's new
What's new

Quick Change Tool Holder for Jet Lathe

Bob Anderson

Plastic
I own the Jet 14x40 Lathe and would like to go to a quick change tool holder. What brand and model quick change tool holder would you recommend for this lathe. I was thinking about the Grizzly or Aloris but not really sure if the Grizzly is worth the cost.

Thanks

Aloris is the best but very pricey. I would go with a Phase II from Enco. I have a 100 phase II on my 14" lathe, that is the same size as an Aloris axa. It works fine but I used that size so I could share tooling with my smaller lathe. It would be better to go with a BXA in Aloris or a 200 in Phase II. Gary P. Hansen

The only requirement to "fit" them to your lathe is to make a plate that fits the T-slot in the compound. It will be self evident when you have the toolpost in hand.
I've suggested to a number of friends that they purchase the Aloris wedge type toolpost and then buy import adapters. That has worked well for them. I prefer the wedge style over the piston type.

If you order directly from Aloris they will machine the nut to fit your compound if you provide a drawing. Aloris tool post and a few too holders will set you back several hundred dollars. Phase II 200 from Enco is $119.95 for a piston type or $189.95 for a wedge. Most people like the wedge best but I like the piston type. If machining the nut is a problem for you, I will do it for you if you provide a drawing of your compound's T slot and pay the shipping both ways. Gary P. hansen

I have a Dorian BXA on my Jet 13x36. I have never used an Aloris, but the Dorian is alledged to be more wear resistant over the long haul. All I can say is that my Dorian has performed perfectly for 15 years with zero maintenance.

I use Phase II tool holders exclusively because they are much cheaper then American made holders and work just as well once you replace the cheesy set screws with some quality American made screws.

RWO

Go Back Practical Machinist - The Manufacturing Forum > Specific Machine Forums > South Bend Lathes
Reload this Page Phase II AXA

Sorry, I was trying to make this an active link. Guess I do not know how. Anyone want to explain it to me? Gary P. Hansen

Last edited:
just did the same myself

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/showthread.php?t=153603&highlight=wedge+vs+piston&page=3

see the 2nd to last post.

from my research, sounds like you'd need the 200 series.

imo, no, ive never used an "expensive" one, but it was well worth what i paid for it. i dont change tools that often at all, and never to a precision that .001" repeatability on the height would ever matter to me.

when i did the search, ive seen alot o people wondering how the cheap ones work,but no one would admit to getting one, so i decided to be a guinea pig and try one.

ive only used it once today, but no complaints so far.

Anyone want to explain it to me?

When you are looking at the page you want to link to, cut (as in cut and paste) the URL from the browser's address box. Return to the post you are making and paste the URL into your text. Then place a {url= in front, a } at the right, the text you want shown for the link followed by {/url}, using brackets [ and ] instead of the braces { and }. If you want the absolute URL to appear for the in text link, surround it with {url} and {/url}, but that is not a good idea if the URL is so long as to exceed the normal width of the posting window. If it is really long, use a text surrogate.

Example (using braces instead of brackets):

{url=http://www.lassengunsmithing.com/html/specproj.htm}Cannon class Tool List{/url}

This will show as

Cannon class Tool List (the blue indicating a link)

I was wondering if you could use the same T that the 4 way tool holder is mounted on. The T on my lathe is very tight and I'm hesitant about hammering on my compound to get it out.

Tool post

You maybe able to use the same T if the tool post uses the same size and threads as the previous tool holder, not very likely though. If you need to hammer your current T from the compound this T is not properly fitted to your compound. Try to get some penetrating oil in there to loosen the T from the compound. :typing: Muley

Back