What's new
What's new

K frame barrel removal

jasonrkba

Plastic
Hi all! I removed the barrel from my Taurus model 65 to do some resurfacing not realizing till I was done this is not usually a DIY job for the average guy. Everything is together now and looks fine but being my first time doing this I want to make sure I didn't miss anything before I fire it. Does anyone have a suggestion.

I'm having a professional check it out Friday. I was hoping to get a little more insight here.

If you managed to get it out, and get it back in without damaging the gun, you are probably alright... If you didn't screw it in far enough, there will be threads or a gap showing where the barrel meets the front of the frame, and you normally can't screw it in too far. I don't remember if Taurus used a cross pin once the barrel was installed, but if it does, and the pin inserted when you finished aligning the front site, you should be okay. Measure the gap between the rear of the barrel and front of the cylinder... this should only be a few thousandths...

Thank you. Everything seems to check out. My fear's arose when I did a little research after the act and found that the frame can be twisted if not done properly.

Thanks again.
-Jason-

If the frame twists, you will know it. The yoke and cylinder won't close and it will be out of range. Generally whenever a barrel is removed you need to set the shoulders back to get the proper torque between the frame and barrel. If you over torque the barrel past the alignment mark, guess what, a get to start over. You can't back it up b/c the shoulder and the face have already been smashed and proper torque can't be obtained. Once installed properly,then the cylinder/barrel gap needs to be reset. .003-.007. Sounds like you made it out OK;)

Back