What's new
What's new

Serial numbers and refinishing

Rara

Plastic
The other thread on trying to restore a serial number got me thinking about another issue.

When refinishing a firearm, with something like cerakote, duracote, etc. any sort of "paint" type coating, what do you guys do to prevent either stamped or engraved markings from getting filled in and unreadable with the coating?

I do a lot of CeraKote finishes on firarms, the biggest danger is from sandblasting, even with the fine 120 grit sand you can wipe a serial number off in no time if you are careless. Since the coats of pait are very thin they do not hide the serial number. I am careful here too when I am spraying them that I don't get too much paint there. Usually the show up very nicely if I have done my part.

Do right CeraKote will give your 1911 rails the slickest smoothest surface, a point that most of my customers really like. If you paint too heavy you will pay for it to get everything working correctly,
Lowell

The other thread on trying to restore a serial number got me thinking about another issue.

When refinishing a firearm, with something like cerakote, duracote, etc. any sort of "paint" type coating, what do you guys do to prevent either stamped or engraved markings from getting filled in and unreadable with the coating?

Back