What's new

My first gun design...

• Thread starter fractal
  • Start date
  • Replies 15
  • Views 1,991
F

fractal

I have been wanting a .22 caliber Gardner gun for many years and I finally have the project to a point where it is very viable. The model was completed last night and will be taken to the SHOT show in Las Vegas tomorrow. It is a hand crank rapid fire gun from the 1870's, a contemporary of the Gatling. I am hoping that these guns will some day be regarded as highly as the Furr gatling guns. I am planning to make 100 of them. So, guy, what do you think of the model?
Gardner0002.jpg

[This message has been edited by fractal (edited 02-11-2004).]

fractal looks great. Hope you do well at the show. I am building three .22 cal. gatlings for the grand kids right now so I know how much work you are going through. Would like to see the inside of a Gardner as I don't have the slightest idea of how the work. What was your starting point?

Don"t want to throw cold water on your project,but I hope that the mag doesn't hold more than 10 rounds, maybe that stupidity will go away in Sept. THE GUN IS BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!!

frbush...My starting point was a lot of luck. I found two owners of original Gardner guns that were willing to let me completely disassemble and examine their guns. Lots of photos and measurements and then I found a complete set of prints to back everything up. I then redesigned it all in 3D for .22Magnum. Which Gatlings are you building? The two sets that I've seen on the market are very different from the original design.

Dnsbss, the stick magazine you see is not really a magazine, just a model. I have a letter from the ATF exempting Bruce feeds from the mazine capacity ban. After the show, I will be submitting the model for a complete classification and review. I am hoping to have it classified as a Title 1 gun in the same line as the Furr Gatlings and Tippmann miniatures. We will have to wait and see exactly how things shake out. I am preparing a pretty exhaustive package that will hopefully allow this project to go through. Worse case, it's a "Any Other Weapon" with all the NFA regs attached and subsequently tiny customer base. All I know is that I will have my Gardner...and hopefully some other people will to!
wink.gif

Actually the cover on the front end has holes for TWO barrels. The main action consists of a reciprocating lock (bolt) and fixed barrel. They multiplied this by as many as ten times. This gun is the two-barreled version.

I took the design to the SHOT show in Vegas two weeks ago to gauge interest and I feel it was pretty successful. My friend is making the full size replicas and the two make quite a pair. The American Rifleman magazine and television show will be doing a show on them in the near future. My apologies to the guys looking for plans, but that will have to wait until after my production. Here is a picture from the show...
SHOTShow_191.jpg

[This message has been edited by fractal (edited 02-24-2004).]

frbush, there is a guy down south that sells a set that I thought looked great. I have about half of the prints done in 3D and will try to make a couple in the near future. I posted some drawings from my gun on my new website. I think they are pretty cool...cutaway stuff. You can see them at www.gardnerguns.com ->History ->Design. It's a lot of work getting this to production, but I'm having fun.

MUCH BETTER!!!
Finally getting the tripod going. I also finally figured out the blueing and am getting GREAT results. BTW, thats a 12L14 steel being used on all externally visible pins, handles, legs, etc. Machining the curvy little handle on the back was fun. She will be even better by the end of the day. Also, I've updated the website and anyone that was hoping to see the pictures can do so now...sorry for the down time. I'm trying to find a good place to photograph the gun and be able to show its size. It's shown on our dresser in the photo below.

Enjoy...Joe
MiniG01.jpg

[This message has been edited by fractal (edited 02-28-2004).]

Back