What's new
What's new

Red Jacket, A joke?

cadcamwiz

Cast Iron
I found myself watching a couple of episodes of sons of guns the other day and started thinking. Everything they do is not original. one thing they claimed was an integrated supressed AK. This was done over 30 years ago. then the baffle design they use is an expired pattent Walther design. And Saigas? What a POS. Just curious as to how a show gets so popular when I see better ideas at a gun show.

I found myself watching a couple of episodes of sons of guns the other day and started thinking. Everything they do is not original. one thing they claimed was an integrated supressed AK. This was done over 30 years ago. then the baffle design they use is an expired pattent Walther design. And Saigas? What a POS. Just curious as to how a show gets so popular when I see better ideas at a gun show.

A little bit of them goes a LONG WAY..... if you know what I mean?

Aj

the episodes when will makes them pull all nighters building a deadly weapon should have OSHA all over them. I worked late one night and had a 12GA shell (just the wadding) in my hand because i tripped and tried to catch myself with the primer pointing down. it struck the corner of a work bench and this is the end result. It didnt go all the way through but I lost the feeling in three fingers.

Attachments

• IMG_20120124_221935.jpg
    IMG_20120124_221935.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 2,422
They and the other shows like them give real gunsmiths a bad name. Plus the safety violations, both firearm and shop are going to get a viewer hurt if they try to copy them.

The episode with the "duelling pistols" is a real treat, the one guy sticks the muzzle of a pistol in his mouth and blows into it, what an utter and complete moron.

Then the one when they try to build a 12 gauge gatling, with a cnc mill they have no idea how to run, then test it without knowing if the breech locks, blow it up, and the inbred running the outfit has a hissy fit because it blew up, then they mount 3 siagas on a rotating affair to simulate a gatling.

ah come on guy's, its not near as bad as the show that is filmed in Colorado, where the gunsmith (and I use that word loosely) is building a .458 Lott and test fires it without a stock, because (his words) "if anythings goes wrong he doesn't want to ruin a stock". He probably has his mommie drive him to work every morning because he can't find his own way!!
Bob

Not to one up you... but Ronnie Barrett made this for the army using the 25mm OSCW round.

I know kinda out there, but if ronnie could sell it to civilians, he would!

So, which one of you 'experts' has a shop with employees and a TV show? None of you I bet. Sounds like jealousy to me. Do you have anything to do but gripe about other's success?

Is ths post real, or just tongue in cheek sarcasm? I almost think he is serious, I just can't be quite sure.

If it is real, he must be a Romney supporter. That remark about being jealous reminds me of that fool Romney, always thinking that if people are critical, they must be envious or jealous. It is an absurd leap to equate the two. Pure hilarity.

So, which one of you 'experts' has a shop with employees and a TV show? None of you I bet. Sounds like jealousy to me. Do you have anything to do but gripe about other's success?

I have been gunsmithing 30 years and have worked with as many as 4 other gunplummers at once all cramped into a tiny space bumping into each other all day. Beyond the machines, test firing and the occasional tool that hits the floor there isn't a sound. In fact, its more boring than watching one of those characters on PBS Television paint landscape pictures on Sunday afternoon when you are hung over. Every gunsmithing shop I have been in is much the same.
Building something totally off the wall is producing a half sized rifle for a 12 year old kid or possibly making a freak stock for a one eyed person who cant get used to shooting from the off side. I have NEVER seen any of the projects they have done even attempted in a real shop. There are no team meetings, no explosions, no cannons, no one screaming and throwing temper tantrums, and all of the people that I have worked with save two have had two year associate degrees in gunsmithing and most had completed their four years on top of that.
Reality, does not make good reality television and as a consequence what they are doing is not real because they simply couldn't sell it. And it seams that they do not have the skilled people that would be required to do real world gun work even if they could sell a show like that. At least the people that commission a bike, end up with a motorcycle that is quite well done from Orange County and the people from Coddingtons show end up with a nice car. I can't say I have seen the same sort of finished product from Sons of Guns or American Guns. Not even close. In fact, I haven't seen them turn out anything exceptable. I won't even go into shop practices its been beet to death in here.
I don't know if you guys get it in the USA, but watching Sons of Guns and American Guns reminds me of a television show we get here called "The Dudesons".They make a lot of the same stuff and The Dudesons stuff works OK some times too. Except, The Dudesons seam to take stuff a bit more serious and professionally. Their rocket launcher cars had Sons of Guns home made rocket launcher and American Guns pistol car beet all to hell. he he he he he

The Dudesons | Official website

Spearchucker said:
.....Reality, does not make good reality television and as a consequence what they are doing is not real because they simply couldn't sell it.....

Thank you!!
Watching a "real" shop is actually pretty boreing IMO.
This is drama TV, take it for what it is and enjoy the show for what it is.....it is what it is....I think.
:nutter:
DC

Thank you!!
Watching a "real" shop is actually pretty boreing IMO.
This is drama TV, take it for what it is and enjoy the show for what it is.....it is what it is....I think.
:nutter:
DC

With editing to condense the material, a real shop can be very interesting. New Yankee Worshop was interesting to me.

Back