Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 87
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Red Jacket, A joke?

  1. #21
    cadcamwiz is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tennessee, Philippines, SoCal
    Posts
    276

    Default

    So, which one of you 'experts' has a shop with employees and a TV show? None of you I bet. Sounds like jealousy to me. Do you have anything to do but gripe about other's success?
    Like
    Im not griping because they have to copy other designs with a bunch of half wit retarded monkeys who cant find the power switch to a Haas mill. Im griping because they are setting a bad image to gun smiths around the world and a safety hazard as well. If you think they have done something exraordanary please share it with us. And Jealous, not hardly. Im satified with my shops and my EXPERIANCED people who dont cut corners.

  2. #22
    superscifi12 is offline Plastic
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    IA, USA
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willbird View Post
    The episode with the "duelling pistols" is a real treat, the one guy sticks the muzzle of a pistol in his mouth and blows into it, what an utter and complete moron.
    Blowing down the barrel of a recently fired muzzle loader accomplishes 2 things. First it causes any burning embers to burn out due to the extra oxygen, so when you pour the powder for the next load it doesn't ignite. Second the moisture from your breath keeps the black powder fouling soft making it easier to reload.

    I have no problem blowing down the barrel of my flintlock after I have fired it. I know it's unloaded.

    Now onto the topic at hand, Red Jacket is a complete and utter joke

  3. #23
    WCogger is offline Plastic
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    NE Corner of North Carolina
    Posts
    5

    Default Red Jacket was Busted by the BATF

    The BATF has pulled Red Jacket's FFL. They "lost" a few machine guns. I wonder how much longer they will be on the air. I wonder if there will be show on how to get in trouble with the BATF?

    Bill
    cadcamwiz likes this.

  4. #24
    cadcamwiz is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tennessee, Philippines, SoCal
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Yep, just checked it out,
    Oops: Red Jacket Firearms Loses Their FFL | The Truth About Guns

    I hate to see anybody fail but sometimes arrogance is a recipe for disaster.

  5. #25
    CozInCowtown's Avatar
    CozInCowtown is offline Plastic
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Cleburne, Texas
    Posts
    24

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by cadcamwiz View Post
    Yep, just checked it out,
    Oops: Red Jacket Firearms Loses Their FFL | The Truth About Guns

    I hate to see anybody fail but sometimes arrogance is a recipe for disaster.

    Okay folks, do not attempt this at home as you are too stupid and we are professionals.

  6. #26
    Zahnrad Kopf's Avatar
    Zahnrad Kopf is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tropical Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cadcamwiz View Post
    I found myself watching a couple of episodes of sons of guns the other day and started thinking. Everything they do is not original. one thing they claimed was an integrated supressed AK. This was done over 30 years ago. then the baffle design they use is an expired pattent Walther design. And Saigas? What a POS. Just curious as to how a show gets so popular when I see better ideas at a gun show.
    ... which is exactly why I don't watch television very much. And when I do, it's most typically the news, something _actually_ educational, or something decidedly other than typical "American" television. American television appears to be marketed to the lowest common denominator and more often than not, I find it offensive. I for one do not press the power button on the remote with hopes of being offended at the stupidity of something, so choose to stay away from most of it.

    That said, they're doing *something* right... They've you talking about them while *they* make money....

  7. #27
    Spud's Avatar
    Spud is offline Titanium
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brookfield, Wisconsin
    Posts
    3,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WCogger View Post
    The BATF has pulled Red Jacket's FFL. They "lost" a few machine guns. I wonder how much longer they will be on the air. I wonder if there will be show on how to get in trouble with the BATF?

    Bill
    From what I read online at other forums, they lost the FFL in 2009, before the show aired. They ended up using one of their employees' FFL for the shop .

  8. #28
    morgans is offline Plastic
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    upstate ny
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    With editing to condense the material, a real shop can be very interesting. New Yankee Worshop was interesting to me.
    I'm New Guy on the Block, And just getting into reading posts.

    I do agree on one point gunsmithing, should not be protrayed the way those guys are doing things, they give the Washington Guys one more reason to ad to that unfair Brady bill. I'm not jealous, matter of fact I'm just learning and have taken pride in everything I do.Personaly show or not I would not get anywears near a shop that screws around, we all know mistakes happen when your screwing off. And the show does give gun owners a bad name, you all know what I mean. Some of us most of us are very serious when it comes to guns.


    Sorry I got on grip run here. I agree New Yankee Work shop comment and shows like it you can learn from it. with out drama.

  9. #29
    HarryFatman is offline Plastic
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NevadaBlue View Post
    So, which one of you 'experts' has a shop with employees and a TV show? None of you I bet. Sounds like jealousy to me. Do you have anything to do but gripe about other's success?
    NB is right about others being jealous, I'm jealous I don't have a setup like Red Jacket, but I'm more concerned with government spending & I think people could find better examples to focus their criticism on!

    BTW, Our Founders never intended for there to be an ATF!!!

  10. #30
    GGaskill is offline Stainless
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Chino [Flats], Ca SSR, USA
    Posts
    1,600

    Default

    There are a lot of things about present day government that were not intended by the founders.
    Murf and BudJackson like this.

  11. #31
    cadcamwiz is offline Cast Iron
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tennessee, Philippines, SoCal
    Posts
    276

    Default

    ATF is not exactly on there toes either. A black powder pistol/rifle is not considered a firearm therefore thats why you can hit your local walmart and buy one without having ID and no questions asked. I find this odd when I see bikers with old Navy colts on both hips knowing they are convicted felons. I asked one of the TBI detectives about this and he explained "its not classified a firearm" Not that I think ATF shout impose anymore laws but yet focus more on the loop holes for criminals and not the outstanding citezen. Just a rant!

  12. #32
    Caspian is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NevadaBlue View Post
    So, which one of you 'experts' has a shop with employees and a TV show? None of you I bet. Sounds like jealousy to me. Do you have anything to do but gripe about other's success?
    having employees does not make one an expert. McDonalds has employees.

    RJ is a joke. prior to their show, they outsourced ALL of their supressor components. Hell al they had pre-show was a manual bridgeport with a RPC. Most of the guys here (myself included) have better equipment then they had. Now they have a Haas that the company gave them for the air time. They can't work it withoug bringing in the company to program it.

    The reason they have a show is because the Discovery Channel saw potential in the drama situations thatthe shop can bring. Let's see. A dad (with no mom inthe picture) and a moderately good looking daughter with a few guys with tatoos. Add in a southern accent (which gets heavier as the series goes on), and a good 'ol boy persona and you have potential for some family drama with a little bit of gunsmithing (read: grinding and dremels).

    Jealous of RJ? not quite.

    Jealous of Tony Rumore? Nope. But I do respect the hll out of him and his abilities. HE is an innovator. He is also humble. He works with a couple guys and there is no family drama. Who deserves a show about gunsmithing and innovative firearm designs? Tony by a mile. Would the American mouth breathing public maintain interest? Nope.

    When people here bag on RJ, it's because the don't represent any form of innovation or respectable gunsmithing. Afterall, who would be jealous of this "craftsmanship" - My "Red Jacket special" PSL - AR15.COM

  13. #33
    HarryFatman is offline Plastic
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    having employees does not make one an expert. McDonalds has employees.

    RJ is a joke. prior to their show, they outsourced ALL of their supressor components. Hell al they had pre-show was a manual bridgeport with a RPC. Most of the guys here (myself included) have better equipment then they had. Now they have a Haas that the company gave them for the air time. They can't work it withoug bringing in the company to program it.

    The reason they have a show is because the Discovery Channel saw potential in the drama situations thatthe shop can bring. Let's see. A dad (with no mom inthe picture) and a moderately good looking daughter with a few guys with tatoos. Add in a southern accent (which gets heavier as the series goes on), and a good 'ol boy persona and you have potential for some family drama with a little bit of gunsmithing (read: grinding and dremels).

    Jealous of RJ? not quite.

    Jealous of Tony Rumore? Nope. But I do respect the hll out of him and his abilities. HE is an innovator. He is also humble. He works with a couple guys and there is no family drama. Who deserves a show about gunsmithing and innovative firearm designs? Tony by a mile. Would the American mouth breathing public maintain interest? Nope.

    When people here bag on RJ, it's because the don't represent any form of innovation or respectable gunsmithing. Afterall, who would be jealous of this "craftsmanship" - My "Red Jacket special" PSL - AR15.COM
    Caspian, don't take NB or me wrong. I hate drama, but love Guns & that's my reason for watching the show. I think the show leaves alot to be desired, but if I want to criticise a show I'll save that for, "American Idol"! That's a show we all hate equally! Am I Right or am I wrong?

  14. #34
    HarryFatman is offline Plastic
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cadcamwiz View Post
    ATF is not exactly on there toes either. A black powder pistol/rifle is not considered a firearm therefore thats why you can hit your local walmart and buy one without having ID and no questions asked. I find this odd when I see bikers with old Navy colts on both hips knowing they are convicted felons. I asked one of the TBI detectives about this and he explained "its not classified a firearm" Not that I think ATF shout impose anymore laws but yet focus more on the loop holes for criminals and not the outstanding citezen. Just a rant!
    If there needs to be an ATF, then this is a valid case for them. However, if you have not violated another Citizens Life, Liberty, or Pursuit of Happiness then there is no need for Laws that violate your Rights! Perhaps a Felony mark on your Drivers License, if they don't have it already. That way you can skip the PW & just have your licence scanned for validity. I know there are arguments to this, but it's a simple solution to a larger problem. Lawyers have ruined this Country!!!

    P.S.- Do you favor this, or would you rather have to fill out PW for all your Firearm purchases?

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,111

    Default

    Now they have a Haas that the company gave them for the air time. They can't work it withoug

    I could be wrong but I would be willing to bet a box of beer that HAAS did not buy their mill for them. I bet they set it up for free and I bet they spent some orientation time with one of the operators and I would bet that Red Jacket gets some CO-OP advertising points that may go toward future purchases. But I don't see enough HAAS air time to justify the cost of a machine. One little HAAS blurt in one episode is a $4000.00 to $8000.00 add. Not a $100,000.00 add. Just sayin. Sure they get a nice cheque for every episode, but its not going to be a Paul Teutul type cheque! I think the old guy just applied his first years cheques to the machine to write off the money. I still think hes a bit of a dork but dorks have accountants too.

  16. #36
    MikeAa is offline Aluminum
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Speer, I really think they do give them one....or at least to use for free. Look at American Choppers, JR's shop is littered with prominent advertising on all the equipment and you know he didn't buy all that. I went to an OCC show years ago at the Spokane Fairgrounds and Haas had brought in a mill that Jim Quinn was running parts on right out in the middle of a grass field. I think the product placement is huge deal for these companies and Haas seems to have cornered the market for cnc mills on TV.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,111

    Default

    Well I think you hit the nail on the head. HAAS finds its way into the scene on every second shot on American Chopper. They are shown using them and there are posters all over the walls. Do you see that on Red Jacket? I don't. I think if I was HAAS and I was giving out free product I would require it get splashed 5 to 10 times per episode. Plus American Chopper has been on air for 10 or 12 years its a good long term investment for HAAS.
    I don't even know that Red Jacket is making their own after market parts now. One would think that if they were, they would have little spot scenes showing all their high tech goodies being made by highly trained Oompa Loompas on fancy HAAS machines? After all it seams that 90% of their work is Cake Decorating, as Jesse James likes to call it. Maybe HAAS did loan them a machine. Who knows. But I don't see where HAAS is getting any good air time out of the deal.

  18. #38
    Caspian is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    595

    Default

    speer, don't take it so literally. i guess i should have said, Haas gave them one to display and it will be repo'd when the American public comes to it's senses and turns them off.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    speer, don't take it so literally. i guess i should have said, Haas gave them one to display and it will be repo'd when the American public comes to it's senses and turns them off.
    I think you overestimated the public. In 5 years Red Jacket will probably have enough income from the show to hire some professional people to run the machines and at that point HAAS may just start giving them some machines.
    That's what happened with OCC. Have you ever looked at the close ups of the Black Widow Bike and the goobery welds? They didn't have profesional tin bashers like Rick Petko and CNC operators like Jim Quinn for the first few years. Red Jacket Firearms already have all the dummies required to make a reality show, give them time, they may start making guns, given time to learn how of course, and money for professional people to make em. LMAO ROFF

  20. #40
    Caspian is offline Hot Rolled
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    595

    Default

    agreed. if you throw enough money at a problem, you can have have a successful business. Heck, our government is a prime example. Even though it is a failed business model, there is an infinite supply of money to make it work.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •