What's new
What's new

Reducing bolt face diameter

oldgoat100

Plastic
I am considering ordering a Remington S.A. receiver from Brownells.
I want to build a .223 rifle to test bullets I have swaged.
The problem is that the bolt face is .473" in diameter.
The .223 bolt face needs to be .380" diameter.

Is is possible to reduce the diameter to .380"?
If so what is the procedure?

I realize I could buy a .223 rifle, but I would like to McGowan's Remage system so I can swap barrels for different calibers.

The Remage system uses a barrel nut like Savage does, only it is for Remington rifles.
Simply install the desired barrel, set headspace, tighten the barrel nut and you are ready to shoot.
If I can modify my own bolts this should (I hope) save me money and the hassle of buying a new firearm.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
I do know how to run a manual lathe and mill as well as cnc machines.

bolt face reduction

I am considering ordering a Remington S.A. receiver from Brownells.
I want to build a .223 rifle to test bullets I have swaged.
The problem is that the bolt face is .473" in diameter.
The .223 bolt face needs to be .380" diameter.

Is is possible to reduce the diameter to .380"?
If so what is the procedure?

I realize I could buy a .223 rifle, but I would like to McGowan's Remage system so I can swap barrels for different calibers.

The Remage system uses a barrel nut like Savage does, only it is for Remington rifles.
Simply install the desired barrel, set headspace, tighten the barrel nut and you are ready to shoot.
If I can modify my own bolts this should (I hope) save me money and the hassle of buying a new firearm.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
I do know how to run a manual lathe and mill as well as cnc machines.
Hi , I did the job on a .243 , just soldered a ring of the right diameter onto the bolt face and cut out the piece for the extractor and it was all sweet and never gave any problems .. Rob

Ain't the cheapest way but ...

you could buy another bolt with a .223 face since you are setting the headspace when reassembling for a given caliber, and you will need an '06 face if you want any cartridges of that family and a magnum face for those.

It's never a bad idea to buy another bolt... it's better than trying to modify an existing one.

If you have a lathe, you could possibly modify a factory barrel for Remage. I'm going to assume that means removing the shoulder on the barrel and then just extending the thread to accommodate for the Remage nut.

There are millions of factory Remington 700 barrel in various calibers available cheaply. Obviously they aren't match grade barrels but I'd say they are a good candidate for modification.

Back