What's new
What's new

Relining a Mauser Broomhandle

Gazz

Stainless
Has anybody here done this? I know I can get it done by a shop on the west coast but wonder how difficult it really is. I have relined .22 rifles and that is easy enough. According to Cartridges of the world, it is a .308 caliber bullet and I do have some .308 barrels here although I do not know the twist rate (yet). CotW states a 7.9" rate of twist for the 7.63 Mauser cartridge. One question I have is the liner stepped or larger in diameter at the chamber end as in does the chamber get replaced too? The pistol I want to reline is a Bolo so a apprx. 3.62" barrel and I think I could turn down a section of rifle barrel that I have and if required, use the tool post grinder to finalize the od and minimize deflection on the thin walled tube. Any comments?

Sounds feasible to me, but I have never done it.
What really seems odd to me is a 7.9 twist rate? Seems like 16 would be more appropriate for a short pistol bullet. Could it have been 17.9?

The book says 7.9 under the twist column. The 7.62x25 which is essentially the same in size but a bit hotter shows a 10 twist. Somewhere in my shop I have a 30-30 barrel from a Savage 219 that somebody had plug welded the chamber and hopefully that will be a similar twist.

If you get set up to do them, there is a definite market for the service. The Broom Closet Guy in Florida passed away recently,he would do Astras as well as Mausers and whatever else comes close, and the "shop on the west coast" is a pain in the a#$ to deal with.

One question I have is the liner stepped or larger in diameter at the chamber end as in does the chamber get replaced too?

It is best to have a continuous path so gas cannot get between the liner and the original barrel.

Has anybody here done this? I know I can get it done by a shop on the west coast but wonder how difficult it really is. I have relined .22 rifles and that is easy enough. According to Cartridges of the world, it is a .308 caliber bullet and I do have some .308 barrels here although I do not know the twist rate (yet). CotW states a 7.9" rate of twist for the 7.63 Mauser cartridge. One question I have is the liner stepped or larger in diameter at the chamber end as in does the chamber get replaced too? The pistol I want to reline is a Bolo so a apprx. 3.62" barrel and I think I could turn down a section of rifle barrel that I have and if required, use the tool post grinder to finalize the od and minimize deflection on the thin walled tube. Any comments?

Why would you need to consider a reline for such a pistol? Just wondering.
W

The reline is required as the rifling is gone. This pistol in particular probably spent most of its existence in China and was shot with high powered corrosive ammunition and poorly cared for. It is a common issue with these pistols.

I did a 308 conversion of a lengthy 7.7 Jap machine gun barrel. The chamber end was larger than the remaining length to keep the liner from moving forward. I would have thought that the bullet leaving the barrel would push back....not so. I left the barrel retaining device out of a Russin .50 by mistake & when fired, the barrel went forward as far at as the recoil spring would allow, about 6".

From this experience, I would be inclined to make the chamber od larger than the bore od........

PJH

I don't know if this is your personal pistol or how much time or money you want to spend. You could take a CZ52 barrel and create a chambered liner out of it. The 7.62x25 is so close to 7.63x25 (30 Mauser) cartridge it would work fine. The most accurate round in my own CZ52 is PPU .30 Mauser.

I relined an old Star Super Modelo with a turned down CZ52 barrel so I could shoot short reloads of .30 Mauser. While its not an ideal cartridge for that pistol geometry it was a fun little bit of nonsense. For a Bolo it would require some careful work on the barrel extension but should do the trick.

Back