What's new
What's new

New Confiscation law in Cali

DannyH

Plastic
Hey Folks,
Anyone know anything about the law that allows them to confiscate legally registered firearms there?
Regards,
Dan

Don't know about California but in New York some gun owners got letters instructing them to surrender their legally registered firearms with no indication of compensation. I think the requests were taken back but it is a dangerous trend that does not bode well for our basic liberties.

Bob
WB8NQW

I know several people that will go down in a show of firepower you would not want to be within miles of if that were to happen to them. If it comes to that the USA will implode. No doubt in my mind, this country will self destruct if the govt. actually tries to take away peoples firearms.

here you go:

"California is the only state with the program. People are put on the list if they once bought a firearm and then are convicted of a felony or a violent misdemeanor, are placed under a domestic violence restraining order or are determined to be mentally unstable."

sounds reasonable to me.

here you go:

"California is the only state with the program. People are put on the list if they once bought a firearm and then are convicted of a felony or a violent misdemeanor, ARE PLACED UNDER A DOMESTIC VIOLENCE RESTRAINING ORDER or are determined to be mentally unstable."

sounds reasonable to me.

"ARE PLACED UNDER A DOMESTIC VIOLENCE RESTRAINING ORDER"

This is the one that they are running with. As it stands now, your kid, mother in law, domestic partner, an ex or soon to be ex, etc, has you by the balls. It seems that they hand out restraining orders with just about any accusation. Around here it has become the weapon of choice in divorce cases.
Mike

here you go:

"California is the only state with the program. People are put on the list if they once bought a firearm and then are convicted of a felony or a violent misdemeanor, are placed under a domestic violence restraining order or are determined to be mentally unstable."

sounds reasonable to me.

Unless you are unwilling to look at their face while you strangle them...

Best way to find out more is to get on Calguns.net. They follow California laws and have lawyers on the site to explain the ramifications.

here you go:

sounds reasonable to me.

If you think anything done by the state of California that restricts guns is reasonable you must be mentally unstable, turn em in!

"Around here it has become the weapon of choice in divorce cases. "

Darn those women to heck. Back in the old days, you could slap them around and
they'd just have to take it.

They are moving in that direction. A new law passed in the city of Los Angeles that bans possession of "high-capacity" magazines, that is, those taking more than 10 rounds. It essentially amounts to a confiscation law without regard to domestic violence misdemeanor convictions, or other factors. In other words, the law, once it takes effect will instantly convert formerly law abiding citizens into criminals.

Mike

There's nothing new about the California gun laws regarding felons, mental cases and domestic violence. Penal Code 273.5 (corporal battery on a spouse or cohabitant) has long had a section on prohibition against gun ownership for a conviction under either a misdemeanor or a felony. Guns have been routinely confiscated and prohibited for such convictees for a long time.

In fact, the law when it was passed more than 15 years ago, was actually retroactive. That is, anyone, including peace officers with a past conviction under any smiilar code, could no longer possess a firearm. Thus, many police officers lost their jobs. The law was held not to violate the prohibition in the U.S. Constitution against ex post facto enforcement of laws since mere confiscation did not carry with it any imprisonment.

Also, the California law on felony weapon ownership is virtually identical to the federal law.

The following list of prohibited persons[SUP][8][/SUP] are ineligible to own firearms under the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act.[SUP][9][/SUP]

• Those convicted of felonies and certain misdemeanors except where state law reinstates rights, or removes disability.
  • Fugitives from justice
  • Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs
  • Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution and currently containing a dangerous mental illness.
  • Non-US citizens, unless permanently immigrating into the U.S. or in possession of a hunting license legally issued in the U.S.
  • Illegal Aliens
  • Those who have renounced U.S. citizenship
  • Minors defined as under the age of eighteen for long guns and the age of twenty-one for handguns, with the exception of Vermont, eligible at age sixteen.
  • Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence (an addition)
  • Persons under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year are ineligible to receive, transport, or ship any firearm or ammunition
Those who already own firearms would normally be required to relinquish them upon conviction.

(from Wikipedia)

I guess that what is new is that the California Legislature is now going to attempt to enforce the existing laws to confiscate all of the guns that they haven't gotten already. This is something to think about before scheduling a visit with a psychiatrist or pushing your wife or girlfriend out of a window.

Back