What's new
What's new

Rem. 7400 Accuracy

Iron Buffalo

Plastic
I am looking for tips on improving the accuracy of a Remington 7400 in 243 win.
I crowned the barrel, which helped some, but it’s still shoots about 3moa.
Any ideas or insights on these guns would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Iron Buffalo

jabezkin,
3moa is with 65 or 75 V-Max handloads with IMR4350, that works very well in my other guns. Most factory loads with heavier bullets are 4moa or more. Additional load development with a little faster powder is certainly warranted to see if it can do any better.

The bacis desingn of the 7400 is not the strongest IMHO and they do not seem to go into battery the same eveytime. I have seen people leave these rifles in the locked back position for long periods of time which may cause the bolt return spring to weaken and cause a problem. These rifles also have a issue with spraying burning powder into the chamber as they are removeing the fired shell and getting buildup inside the chamber and a good chamber scrubing may help. Good luck with your endevor. clint

I'm afraid that 3 MOA is about the best you can hope for with that rifle. It works very well for what it was designed for, but it wasn't designed to be any more accurate than that.

never owned a 7400 but my old weary 742 was capable of shooting 1.25 inches at 100 yds. 165 grain bullets and slower powders, which were rough on the gun helped. Also vary the tork on the forend screw.

homemade,
As long as you mentioned a Remington 742. I saw at least 2 at a recent gunshow, both asking about $250 for a .30-06. Is there something wrong with this model? Seemed a little cheap for a Remington .30-06.

Just thought I would pick a few peoples brains.

Thanks,
Paul

As a general rule they are not noted for accuracy and unless cleaned every 20 to 50 rounds tend to jamb. The interrupted thread lock up tends to shave brass from the shell. At least in my experience.

They point like a shotgun and can't be beat for running game.

Back