What's new
What's new

Sliding sear?

CalG

Diamond
I picked up an SKS recently to mess with.

The sear is a sliding arrangement that I would like to improve.
There are a few references on the net on the topic (good ones too)

But

Is the sliding sear "unique"? I can't recall anything like it.

Is 1 mm enough engagement for such a mechanism considering neutral hammer movement on pull?

A spring pushes against the sear opposite trigger action, so bump fire should not be a problem with neutral engagement.

I've done a bit of work on this one with respect to creep and travel. Next up is over travel ;-)

Comments?

images

I have a SKS but I havent looked at the trigger group yet. The pic does look unique compared to other designs I have seen. All that aside. What are you trying to accomplish? The SKS IMO is never going to be a MOA rifle unless you change everything about it. Again IMO, it accomplishes everything that it set out to do very effectively. Maybe better than any other rifle with the same purpose with the possible exception of the M1 Carbine.
I should admit that I love commy guns.

What am I trying to accomplish?

Just increase the pleasure of using the tool. There is just about nothing made that can't be made better. Form Fit or function. The trigger on a rifle is the significant point of contact. It's a win /win if this interface can be "nice". I do the same for about every tool I have, unless it's a throw away.

ps
I have no fantasy of taking such a rifle "into battle". (too old for that) So it must serve some other purpose than nostalgia. ;-)

Have you looked around Survivor's SKS board? a quick goggle search (their search function is disconnected) turned up a bunch. I just typed in "sliding sear site:www.sksboards.com"

Have you looked around Survivor's SKS board? a quick goggle search (their search function is disconnected) turned up a bunch. I just typed in "sliding sear site:www.sksboards.com"

That is covered in the third sentence of the OP. Lot's of stuff there, some good, some not as good ;-)

Back