Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: remington 700 bolt threading fixture

300sniper is offline Hot Rolled

Default remington 700 bolt threading fixture

i had this idea in the back of my head for a couple years now. i was over complicating the fixture and could never make up my mind on a design. i finally came up with a simple fixture that is very repeatable. i could probably save about 3 minutes off of the thread milling portion by switching from a single profile to a full profile thread mill. if i end up doing a bunch of bolt handles, i may consider investing one. as it is now, it takes less than 15 minutes to complete including time to mount the bolt in the fixture, machine time, removing the bolt and blowing it off.

i know there has been some debate lately about the use of cnc in gunsmithing shops. this is just one thing that can be done easier and faster with cnc than manually in a lathe.

SPDTool and vettepicking like this.

Colt45 is offline Cast Iron

Thumbs up

Very nice!
    I like your fixture and the way you are holding it by the bolt handle vs the bolt body.

thinking about holding the bolt body is what was really hanging me up on my design ideas. after lots of thought, i couldn't see any reason to hold the body if you could hold the handle securely.

glbreil is offline Cast Iron

Thats really nice.

I especially like the way the bolt became jeweled while you were working on it! If you could keep it from turning back when it is finished you would really have something.

Just kidding and nice fixture.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by glbreil View Post
    Thats really nice.

I especially like the way the bolt became jeweled while you were working on it! If you could keep it from turning back when it is finished you would really have something.

Just kidding and nice fixture.

Gary

lol, it threads the handle and jewels the bolt body all at the same time!

RePete is offline Plastic

Quote Originally Posted by Colt45 View Post
    Very nice!
    I like your fixture and the way you are holding it by the bolt handle vs the bolt body.
    Nice.

Holding the bolt handle that way, lessens the chance of fracturing the braze on Remington bolt handles.

Also take away all flex when holding the bolt body.

Nice job.
    Last edited by RePete; 03-25-2010 at 05:30 AM. Reason: spelling

What do you charge for your service?

Thank you, Hiram

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram Maxims Old Lathe View Post
    What do you charge for your service?

Thank you, Hiram
    i am not ready to take customer work yet. i am still getting my ducks in a row.

in the mean time, if you need to have a bolt knob installed, i have seen pictures of the work and heard great reviews from both keith at az precision: link and mark at short action customs: link

PBike is offline Plastic

That's really cool the way the threads are jeweled as well.

Paul

butchlambert is offline Aluminum

Watch out Paul! You never know who's lurking.
    Butch

wesg is offline Stainless

Looks like a great way to fixture it. I made a fixture that grabs the bolt body, and found out the angle of the handle varies. Don't remember now if was from an early one to a later one, or right vs left handed.

Lumberjack is offline Aluminum

Great fixture,

I only wonder if it really is that much slower if used in a lathe?

Of course one would have to go a little slow on rpmīs with that fixture in the 4-jaw but...?

Thanks for your pics and time, great work!

Quote Originally Posted by PBike View Post
    That's really cool the way the threads are jeweled as well.

Paul
    pretty cool, huh? that's how i planed it.

all kidding aside, those were the first bolts done and i was still fine tuning the feeds and speeds for that tiny thread mill. either way, once the knobs are epoxied on, the "jeweled" threads didn't seem to matter much anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by wesg View Post
    Looks like a great way to fixture it. I made a fixture that grabs the bolt body, and found out the angle of the handle varies. Don't remember now if was from an early one to a later one, or right vs left handed.

this fixture is set up for right hand remington bolts only. i have probably had 3-4 requests for left hand bolts with well over a hundred right hand. one of these days i may make a left hand version but it hasn't made it to priority.

this fixture indexes the handle of the rear of the bolt handle. i found the angle of the front doesn't matter much.

You might try Mike Bryant's website. He has a lot of photos and good advice.
    Precision Riflesmithing by Bryant Custom: Action Truing
    This is PT&Gs bolt threading jig for a lathe. After getting there click on the bolt handle threading jig.
    Pacific Tool & Gauge Inc. - Gunsmithing, Fixtures and Tooling
    Butch

Quote Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
    Great fixture,

I only wonder if it really is that much slower if used in a lathe?

Of course one would have to go a little slow on rpmīs with that fixture in the 4-jaw but...?

Thanks for your pics and time, great work!

the good thing about this is the fixture can stay on the cnc mill most of the time. the tool and fixture offsets are stored in the machine. i can have a barrel in the lathe and still do bolt handles at the same time.

this picture was back when i first built the fixture. four and a half hours from opening the shop in the morning, firing everything up, machining the handles, epoxying the handles on, cleaning up, and closing the shop down. there were two more bolts picked up before this picture was taken.

Nice fixture and a good way to do them if you have a CNC mill. I believe in absence of a CNC mill the fixture either Mike or PT&G have for the lathe is more suitable for the average home smith or gunsmith.
    Butch

Quote Originally Posted by butchlambert View Post
    Nice fixture and a good way to do them if you have a CNC mill. I believe in absence of a CNC mill the fixture either Mike or PT&G have for the lathe is more suitable for the average home smith or gunsmith.
    Butch
    Well I shouldn't tell you this Butch. But you do them in a small mill or medium heavy drill press. You build a jig to hold the bolt by the handle pointing straight up to the lower dog leg on the bolt in the machine. Then you buy a $50.00 Norsman or Milwaukee annular cutter that leaves a 1/4 inch core. You make a simple collar that adapts a 1/4 x 28 thread die to your drill press. Line up the bolt handle and clamp down the jig and install the annular cutter. Run it down at about 150 RPM with a good flood of coolant. It will cut away the the Knob and leave a clean 1/4 inc stub about .500 or so long. Remove the annular cutter and chuck in your die holder and set the speed to 50/80 RPM. Run the die down under power with lots of tapping grease and shut the machine off a bit short and reverse it. I'll get you some pictures next time I do one but I think you get the idea. It takes about 10 minutes. I have an old bolt handle with a 60 deg center drilled in it to put in the jig first and I use a 60 degree center finder to line it up. You owe me a beer.

To Add: You don't need to cut the threads in the machine of course. I know a couple gun plumbers that take the bolt out of the mill/drill press after cutting the stub and cut the threads by hand in the vise with the die. But it only takes a half hour to build the die holder in the lathe and if everything is set up and lined up in the drill press or mill from cutting the stub, why not cut the threads there too?

To be honest you won't see me doing any as they are the most butt ugly looking things that I can think of. I do like looking at different machine setups If I were gunsmithing for money I would do them because Mr Customer wants them and they are money makers. Nothing against you that are doing them and like them on your rifles.
    Butch
    olcrip and ditchdigger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by butchlambert View Post
    To be honest you won't see me doing any as they are the most butt ugly looking things that I can think of. I do like looking at different machine setups If I were gunsmithing for money I would do them because Mr Customer wants them and they are money makers. Nothing against you that are doing them and like them on your rifles.
    Butch
    I'll put one on my own guns when pigs fly. You wont catch me walking up a mountain with the damned thing poking into my back and then having that 1/4 inch stub breaking off in the heat of Elk season. I don't put bigass 50 MM 20 power scopes on anything that was made to shoot big game either. But I'm a whore, I'll do anything for money.
    gorrilla likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast