What's new
What's new

Remington 700 design question

taiwanluthiers

Cast Iron
Ok, I got a question about the Remington 700 design, or any other Mauser based bolt action rifles for that matter.

I noticed how easy it is to basically keep the trigger pressed while closing the bolt, that it could fire the rifle if done this way. So what prevents a trigger malfunction from causing the rifle to fire unexpectedly, or fire out of battery? I know Remington 700 had a recall with a batch of triggers that did this. Honestly the way the striker is positioned kinda makes me a little paranoid about this (which is also why I never ever put a loaded round into a chamber even if I'm function testing... a negligent discharge with a rifle is beyond dangerous)

... or fire out of battery?

If the bolt is not closed completely (out of battery), the tail of the striker will hit the retraction cam which will absorb a lot of the striker energy and close the bolt at the same time.

On a Mauser, the firing pin, or striker if you will, can't move all the way forward if the bolt isn't in the correct position. It is that way by design.

On more modern designs, they use a rebounding firing pin, so the pin isn't long enough to reach the primer when the pin is at rest.

The problem with the Remington had nothing to do with design. It had to do with shitty QA/QC.

Buy or find the book, The Bolt Action Volume 1 by Stuart Ottison ISBN 0-935632-21-2

It explains design, manufacture, and function of Remington triggers, very well.

As well as firing pin/spring designs, locking lugs, etc.. More than just Remington covered.

MOST modern bolt actions, DO NOT have rebounding firing pins....

He was an engineer, so math is involved...

Remington's biggest problem, was trigger adjusting screws, that let people tinker with them...

Big show about bad Remington triggers, not once were people asked... If they/or previous tinkerer, had ADJUSTED triggers themselves.

Buy or find the book, The Bolt Action Volume 1 by Stuart Ottison ISBN 0-935632-21-2

It explains design, manufacture, and function of Remington triggers, very well.

As well as firing pin/spring designs, locking lugs, etc.. More than just Remington covered.

MOST modern bolt actions, DO NOT have rebounding firing pins....

He was an engineer, so math is involved...

Remington's biggest problem, was trigger adjusting screws, that let people tinker with them...

Big show about bad Remington triggers, not once were people asked... If they/or previous tinkerer, had ADJUSTED triggers themselves.

Yep. I wonder how many, if any unmolested, properly maintained 700s have had an AD.

Guess I should have said had a discharge without the trigger being pulled.

Quite a few, and the guy who designed the trigger, Mike Walker, knew it was defective by design and tried to get Remington to change it.

"Unsafe By Design," by Jack Belk, highly recommended. I was skeptical until I read Jack's book.

But honestly I would just not put a live cartridge in the chamber of a bolt action rifle unless I am expecting to shoot it soon... Given how it's designed I get scared that if I were to put a loaded round in one, that it could possibly fire as soon as I close the bolt.

On a Mauser, the firing pin, or striker if you will, can't move all the way forward if the bolt isn't in the correct position. It is that way by design.

On more modern designs, they use a rebounding firing pin, so the pin isn't long enough to reach the primer when the pin is at rest.

The problem with the Remington had nothing to do with design. It had to do with shitty QA/QC.

Agree with that as my bolt was up just a tad on my Old 98(8MM) and nothing happened with trigger pull and by the time i figured out the problem a nice buck turned and disappeared.

One incident with a 700 a mother was unloading her gun.. it went off with the bullet going through a camp trailer and her son was shot. Yes hard to blame the gun because she may have errored.

Found the news... it was a horse trailer not a camper.Son's death prompts family to dig into Remington | Montana News | billingsgazette.com

*At kelly Road Camp (kellyroadcamp.com) Guns are loaded once and not unloaded until the hunt is over and taken home.
rule is Check you safety on the way back and never point it in any wrong way.Kelly Road Camp in February - Home-1 :

At Santa Rosa Island the rule was not have a bullet in the breach until your guide says load... Guns are not opened or even brought into the camp. They are left in a locked truck or locked in the barn. Yes Santa Rosa hunting is gone.

Back