What's new
What's new

Remington 700 side bolt release

taiwanluthiers

Cast Iron
So I know there's a side bolt release for Remington 700, and it is easy to mill your receiver for it.

However I find the side bolt release to be really expensive... like 30-70 dollars (depends on who you buy from) for that tiny little part... I know gun parts are expensive but man it's asking a lot.

I got spare steel blocks lying around and this isn't a high stress part, so my question is, where can I find a blueprint of a side release lever? I will machine it myself. Failing that does anyone have a really good picture of one and detailed measurement?

Another thing, these side release lever comes without spring or roll pins, where can I get one?

It's a higher stress part than you'd imagine. I've seen plenty fail on tactical match rifles. Material choice and hardness need to be taken into account. You don't want it to break and you don't want to peen your lug.

Any spring that will fit will pretty much do. Get a little assortment at the hardware store and see what you like, hard to push or not so hard. Just trim them to length.

Use prehard 4140 if you are worried about the stress. For me that would not be an issue. I can't say for you.

Gary

I haven't seen springs small enough sold at hardware stores, most of them are either too big or too small.

Also on Mausers those bolt stop is little more than sheet metal and they seem to stand up fine. In fact even factory remington bolt stop is sheet metal too.

I haven't seen springs small enough sold at hardware stores, most of them are either too big or too small.

Also on Mausers those bolt stop is little more than sheet metal and they seem to stand up fine. In fact even factory remington bolt stop is sheet metal too.

May be, but sheet metal is not a specification. Is it coated, cold rolled, hot rolled, aluminum killed,etched and oiled, or any of several other possibilities? Type of processing AND alloy need to be specified if particular needs are to be met.

Honestly, for all the trouble that making your own will be, it's probably worth just buying the kit. It'll come with a part that already has the kinks worked out of it, the pin, the spring, and directions with a drawing of how to cut the slot.
Well worth the $$ IMHO.

The link posted is NOT a kit. It comes with the part and nothing more, no instructions or any other parts.

I have not seen a kit from anyone as of yet.

Defiance sells a kit. Spring, stop and pin are included. Nice piece and IIRC it is 25-30 bucks. No instructions are included and I didnt find an ony on the net so you will need to make the calculations for the cut. It is pretty straightforward
Defiance Machine | Custom Bolt Rifle Actions You will need to call or email them and ask for the part I dont think it shows up on the site

The link posted is NOT a kit. It comes with the part and nothing more, no instructions or any other parts.

I have not seen a kit from anyone as of yet.

If memory serves, Tubb sells one. I was under the impression that PTG's had the spring and pin, too. I've dealt with them before and their stuff is top notch.

Why would you want one out of curiosity? You will still have to pull the trigger to remove the bolt, no?

You will still have to pull the trigger to remove the bolt, no?

I doubt it. You don't pull the trigger in the factory scheme. There is a separate "button" that you push up which levers the bolt stop down.

Installed one today for the first time, used an Anschutz(thanks Butch), its on a Remington XP100.

IMG_3032.jpgIMG_3037.JPGIMG_3043.JPG

Buck

Back