What's new
What's new

remington 700 trigger pin holes

dlenardu

Plastic
What size are you guys reaming your trigger pin holes to? I'm measuring my pins at .123" so I'm wondering if I should ream to .122" or .1225"?

I do not have experience with Rem 700's, but I assume the stock cutout for the trigger group should hold in any "walking" pins. So I would ream .123 for a tight slip fit.
If the pin can dislodge itself from one side of the trigger groups walls, then I would ream .1225" for a light press fit.

Are you building your own trigger group? Installing oversized pins?

I have always reamed the holes for the trigger pins to 0.1240" in my "700" clones and my BMG actions (they use a 700 trigger). I pulled out my bag of pins and double checked them. They are 0.1248". I would recommend that you double and triple check the pins. The holes in the trigger assembly SHOULD be 0.1250. If your pins are in fact 0.1230" there COULD be a little slop in the trigger assembly when installed. I don't know that it would cause any issues... But I don't know that it wouldn't either. The undersized (0.1248") pins go through the trigger housings with zero effort but have no perceptible slop either.

Spyderedge is correct in assuming that the pins should not be able to walk. However, I have always used these 0.0002" under-sized pins and reamed the holes 0.1240" none the less.

What ever you do DON'T use over-sized pins. Every 700 trigger I have had my hands on could be damaged by over-sized pins. It would not take much to bend a side plate and bind the trigger assembly. If you have a set of pin gauges check the holes in the trigger assembly. A 0.1250" class ZZ no-GO pin should fit nicely. A 0.1250" Go should not.

Thanks for the replies. I doubled checked the pins that I have and they are .1232" and .1231" I have a trigger assembly and it measured right at .125" This might explain why I got a good deal on these pins. I guess I am going to order some more pins, except both midway and brownell's are out of stock. Any other sources?

Thanks for the replies. I doubled checked the pins that I have and they are .1232" and .1231" I have a trigger assembly and it measured right at .125" This might explain why I got a good deal on these pins. I guess I am going to order some more pins, except both midway and brownell's are out of stock. Any other sources?

Try Mcmaster search "undersized dowel pins" I don't recall where I got my pins but they are 1" long. I always cut them to fit whatever I'm fitting them into. McMaster does NOT have them that long. 3/4" are the longest they have but that is more than long enough.

Back