What's new
What's new

Removing Barrel From Browning A-Bolt

Bob Anderson

Plastic
How hard is it to remove the barrel from a Browning A-Bolt? I was told Browning uses the Red Lock Tight to install their barrels and that they are very difficult to remove. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thats great Bob,thanks for that. Now at least I know what Im dealing with. As to whether or not I go at it now remains on hold for a while till I get my taughts together on it. Ill let you know as something tells me,curiosity just might get the upper hand. Thanks again.

Browning A Bolts

First, Browning does not want you changing their barrels.

Second, if you attempt this make sure you have the correct action wrench.
One that completly supports the action and a barrel vice that completely gripps the barrel.

Third, are you going to sacrifice the original barrel? If so cut a relief ring up to the action.

Heat the action to 300-350 degrees with propane torch, this is hot enough to melt enamel, and locktite.

Say your prayers and check for the alignment of the plantets.

Do not use more than 100 foot pounds on the action wrench.

Investment cast actions will crack, and crumble.

If you can't remove the original barrel then machine it out.

This is why you don't see investment cast actions being used as a common platform for custom actions.

Rustystud

Browning A Bolt

Here is a Browning A Bolt action wrench I made.

DSC00351.jpg

Last edited:
Gamma

I used it on one A Bolt. I had to install a muzzle brake on a light weight short barrel that was too short to get through my spindle so I had to pull the barrel.

I had read horror stories about A Bolts so I made sure I had a good fitting wrench and warmed the joint up to 350 to 375 degrees with an industrial hot air gun before giving it a try. It was fairly tight but came off with no damage. Looked like they had something similar to blue loctite on it.

I forgot to mention, cut some thin cardboard similar to soft drink cartons for shims to prevent maring the finish on the action.

Back