What's new
What's new

Removing a brno 2 barrel

koyuga

Plastic
Can anyone give me any tips to remove a 1966 brno 2 barrel.
The plan is to do a reline the barrel and re install.
Ive heard they are tough to loosen.
Ive seen people recommend a relief cut. I guess that is close to the receiver but how deep?

Thanks for any advice.

Provided this is a threaded barrel.

Barrel vise and action wrench. You do not need to cut a relief groove when using the correct tools.

tcl9Nqe.jpg

Jos2SsD.jpg

And of course the gent removing and installing the barrel must understand how to properly fit a barrel and headspacing.

Cut a groove in a barrel that is to be reinstalled???? NO NO NO!!!!!!

Note the barrel vise, on a sturdy stand bolted to the floor, in the left side of the photo. Near the lathe where it is handy.

iT1Ctb1.jpg

1JGzVPY.jpg

xf8mYmc.jpg

It's vital to use either wood blocks with resin on the barrel vise or well-fit barrel shims(the more modern but expensive version). It's hard to see in the pictures above. 'Course if you don't know this you probably should see a professional.

Thanks gents.
I understand the use of barrel wrenches vices etc.
I will get my gunsmith to remove.
Information received suggest the Brno cz barrels are particularly difficult to remove.

Relining a rifle barrel is becoming more common when the gun has commercial or sentimental value.
Need to bore the original barrel to insert new liner.
Rgds.

Koyuga.

YES IT IS VERY TRUE. THOSE .22 BRNO BARRELS ARE EXTREMELY TIGHT. I HAVE REMOVED ONLY ONE IN MY LIFE. EVEN THOUGH i HAD A PROPER BARREL VISE ETC I HAD TO MAKE A CUSTOM SLEEVE THAT FITTED OVER THE BARREL AND I SWEATED IT ON TO STOP SLIPPAGE.

Can anyone give me any tips to remove a 1966 brno 2 barrel.
The plan is to do a reline the barrel and re install.
Ive heard they are tough to loosen.
Ive seen people recommend a relief cut. I guess that is close to the receiver but how deep?

Thanks for any advice.

A relief cut could be with a cutoff tool or any other tool. Depth is until it weakens the joint enough to unscrew barrel. However it would be better to replace the barrel. Sarco has new old stock mauser barrels cheap. I may be wrong but I have never seen a barrel liner for sale for high pressure calibers; only for 44-40, 38-40, etc.

No need to remove the barrel at all on a bolt rimfire.....in fact its easier with the barrel attached....I done quite a few with the whole lot made from one piece of steel......such as many old BSA s.

Back