What's new
What's new

Rebarrel a GP100

Mike RzMachine

Cast Iron
i'm wondering what's involved in rebarreling a ruger gp100 in .357 mag. i haven't taken in apart, as i'm not sure i want to do it myself.

i'm wondering how the barrel is tightened and aligned.
does ruger cut the barrel threads with a certain clocking?
does the barrel have a fine enough thread that it can be torqued until the barrel is aligned by deforming some portion of the frame or barrel? (seems most likely)
is the barrel assembled to the frame with shims to get it to stop at the correct position?

what are all of the tolerances that need to be held when rebarreling and where can i find them? barrel to cylinder gap, barrel rotational alignment, torque, others?

it's not a high priority project, i'm interested in what's involved. are there any issues that aren't obvious?

Thanks,
Mike

Get Kuhnhausens book on Ruger double actions

I'd suggest you purchase a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausens book on Ruger Double Action Revolvers from Brownells -

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/st...RUGER DOUBLE-ACTION REVOLVERS - A SHOP MANUAL

Though primarily about Rugers earlier models, it will suffice for the GP series also. It has all the info you need, and could explain it a lot better than I can.

Sending the gun to Ruger would be the easiest/cheapest way to go if all you want is a new factory barrel.

Best results to you with your project. Joe

Last edited:
If you want a new factory barrel it will have to go to Ruger. Ruger will not sell barrels. You might find a used one at "Gun Parts Corp.".

GP barrel

The easiest way to do this is to make a sort of Dan Wesson setup and reuse the original Ruger shroud. Reproduce the threads on the new insert barrel and make a Dan Wesson style nut to hold it all in place. This will simplify the alignment of the new barrel and shroud and allow you to use any quality-level of barrel you choose.

i guess i misused the term rebarrel. it currently has a 4" factory barrel on it, and i want to replace it with a 6" barrel, so reusing the shroud would be out.

thanks,
Mike

Back