What's new
What's new

Removing revolver Barrel

maynah

Stainless
I need to remove the barrel from a Colt Trooper. I have a barrel vise and action wrench that I've used many times to remove rifle barrels. I know I'll need to make a frame bushing to hold the Colt, and barrel bushings for the barrel.
Pictures of the way you hold the frame would be great. Thanks

I need to remove the barrel from a Colt Trooper. I have a barrel vise and action wrench that I've used many times to remove rifle barrels. I know I'll need to make a frame bushing to hold the Colt, and barrel bushings for the barrel.
Pictures of the way you hold the frame would be great. Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maynah;
Maryland Gun Works makes a wrench, marketed by Brownells, that uses Delgrin inserts to support the frame..It's the best I've used. It is well worth the investment to prevent damage to the frame. Colt tends to have a very tight barrel to frame fit. More so than S&W.. Even with the wrench, damage can occur. If there is damage to the barrel forcing cone area in the way of a large split or bugle from a squib, cut the barrel off, set the frame up and bore
the thread section of the barrel out. Trying to unscrew it with the bulge will ruin the frame/threads...
If I get a chance, I'll try to take some pictures of the wrench..

Good luck
Jerry

Thanks guys. I'll check that out. There are plans for aluminum inserts to go with the wrench I made in school, but I've never made or used them.
You know how scary it is when you really tighten up the barrel vise and action wrench and give the handle a jolt. Something is going to give. :eek: Thanks again.

Out of curiosity do you have the tools to put the frame back in range in the event it gets tweaked a little even with the frame wrench.

Back