What's new
What's new

Replacing the 870 ejector spring

garyphansen

Titanium
Anyone have any tips on replacing the 870 Remington ejector spring. Do you drill off the heads of the rivets? I am fairly sure I can figure out how to do it but would like any words of wisdom anyone might have on this. Gary P. Hansen

just did one ,brownells sells a hollow spot facer[just cuts the outter head of the rivet off] that if your lucky and you can spot face the peened head of the front rivet you may be abel to get by with out having to replace the rivet. on the one i did i had to replace the whole thing as i reworked an early 20ga. frame in to a 12 ga. by milling open the shell ejector port and reaming the mag tube port to the size of a 12ga. and i replaced the 20ga. ejector and spring with a 12ga. so i had to replace the rear and front rivet the front rivet is a steped rivet the 1st. step for the ejetor and the 2nd.for the spring. the bummer if you replace the rivet is it will show that it has been replaced. when you send it back to remington they reblue the rec. and the cost ? well over $100? from brownell the cost of the 4 parts was under $20. so for $5 to $10 you can getter done if you do your home work

Last edited:
Thanks 1yesca. I was thinking of cutting off the head of the rivet that holds the spring on and then drilling and tapping the rivet to hold the spring on with a scope screw. I have also heard of people gluing the spring in but I have never had much luck with that kine of thing. Any othe ideas? Gary P. Hansen

replacing the 870 ejector spring

A friend came to me with a 870 that would not eject. I am a machinist. After checking it out I saw the problem. I took a dremel tool and ground off the ribits on the in side. ordered the parts needed and the set tool. It was straight forward and simple, until I deceided the ribbits were too long and filed them off on the outward side before installing, BIG mistake. flawed a perfect job. They wer below the surface of the receiver about the amount I filed off.

As 1yeska said Brownells have a hollow cutter.

Use the cutter pry off the spring, cut the other rivet and pry off the support. Install the new support, peend the rivet, install the spring, peen the rivet. Finished and no other machining.

If the rivets are no good, punch out from frame, install new rivets and then continue with the remainder of the install, but now you need to mill the rivet flush to the frame and refinish.

That little hollow cutter works good. The one I did there was enough meat left on the rivit to just peen it again. I got the cutter from midway. I think it was made by ptg.
-Don

The repair is finished. There was not enough of the head of the rivet left to use the hollow cutter trick so this is what I did. I finished cutting the head off flush with the ejector. Then I found a small ring shanked brad and used a number drill .001 smaller than the shank of the brad to drill a hole in the center of rivet. I stop just short of the outside of the receiver. I cut the brad to length, added Loc-Tite to the hole, slipped the brad through hole in the spring and tapped into the hole in the rivet.

I tested this last night before I made the repair by drilling a hole with the same number drill in a piece of scrap, applying Loc-Tite and tapping in a different ring shanked brad. After sitting over night, I could not pull the brad out. Gary P. Hansen

Back