What's new
What's new

Hawke sidewinder 30 scope, or ?

SND

Diamond
Been reading quite a few reviews of scopes, don't wanna spend much more than $500 or so(whatever it best bang for the $). So far the Hawke seems to get good reviews and to offer a lot for a relatively low price(thinking 8-32x56). So was wondering if any of you guys here is using them, and if there's something else for similar cost/options that's worth looking at? a lot of the more common brands for north america seem to all be coming out of china or similar anyhow. And definitely not gonna spend 2K on a scope. This should be going on a .308 . range is only 100-400yrds, maybe further eventually.

thanks

Doesn't sound too popular here... no other recommendations? stick to open sights eh?

Thanks for mentioning those, hadn't looked into it. Does seem to offer quite a bit for that price, and their Tac2 seems pretty nice as well, almost worth getting one of each.

With pretty much all of these new scopes you see on the market today, (I won't mention names) especially the so called tactical scopes, if you do a little bit of research you will find that they are all made in Japan by a company called Hako. If you want to dig a little bit deeper, and I have, if you have $100,000.00 eating a hole in your pocket you can call Hako, and I have, and they will make you a special run of scopes with whatever razzle dazzle features you care to glue on to them. They will cost you between $100 and $500 per copy and you can put your own name on them and sell them. Basically Americans have been dealing with Hako for years. Tasco and some of the lower end brand name scopes are also made by them. Not a big problem. The Hako scopes of today are probably as good as the Leupolds were 20 years ago, BUT. They are no more a Leupold, Burris, Nikon, or Zeiss, than Shaanxi or Anhui Chizhou are Bridgport, Colchester and Clausing. Bear in mind that I'm Canadian and I'm no way pounding the flag and trying to shove team USA or UK up anyone's snout. But there is a difference. You get what you pay for. You are in essence buying 20 year old technology, being made today.

I prefer to stick with known good scopes. I like Leupold and Burris myself for quality and value. Don't see why you would need the magnification you're looking at for 400yds and under. I get by just fine with my Burris 3-12x on my .308.

Thanks for the information.
Pretty much ended up at the conclusion after looking further into it that there's about as many bad reviews of the lower end scopes at there are of the top brands when it comes to receiving a defective one, or even having an issue later on. Big difference is in how its repaired and it looks like the top brands with the excellent warranty might be well worth spending a bit more for just for that aspect.
Kinda disappointing that scopes appear to be on some regulated list so we can't buy them cheaper from the US eh? what's up with that, its just a scope? though it looks like they're the ones not allowed to ship outside the US? ah well...

Mueller Rifle Scopes

Check out the prices from these guys. I've purchased from them before and their service is top notch. Every time I have ordered from Joe Bobs it has shipped same day. You might also check out Vortex Optics. They have a lifetime VIP warranty and have some scopes that are within your price range.

Thanks for the information.
Pretty much ended up at the conclusion after looking further into it that there's about as many bad reviews of the lower end scopes at there are of the top brands when it comes to receiving a defective one, or even having an issue later on. Big difference is in how its repaired and it looks like the top brands with the excellent warranty might be well worth spending a bit more for just for that aspect.
Kinda disappointing that scopes appear to be on some regulated list so we can't buy them cheaper from the US eh? what's up with that, its just a scope? though it looks like they're the ones not allowed to ship outside the US? ah well...

The import / export game is tricky. If its gun related and over $100.00, Americans require an export permit to ship to Canada. I think the permit costs $300 per business or individual per yer. If its going to a Canadian business, regardless of cost, an import permit is required on the Canadian side and a copy of the permit must accompany the shipment from the American side. If its going to an individual then I don't think an import permit is required but if its over $100 it will be snagged by Canadian customs and duty and tax will be charged. The post office will charge GST on delivery.

There are loopholes on many items if you look though. For example you can beat the 550% tobacco tax by ordering snuff and cigarettes online and keeping the cost below $100. A role of Copenhagen snuff costs me $220.00 for 10 cans if I buy it over the counter in Canada. Online, plus shipping it costs about $55.00. You could do it with booze too except the shipping would kill you because of weight. You have to check all of this out before doing it, but you might be surprised what you can get away with if you do your homework.

ADD NOTE: A lot of American companies will ask Canadian individuals for an import permit before shipping just to satisfy their export permit requirements, even though the import permit may not be required on our end. Its generally always easier and cheaper to buy goods from Europe as far as the tax's go. Their governments generally try to streamline and encourage exports to other countries to boost their economies. Shipping from Europe is now often just as cheap as shipping from the USA and in some cases even cheaper.

Thanks for the info, I never thought scopes and accessories would be that regulated. Certainly not worth my trouble.
It's looking like Sightron will be the winner now, good local dealers, great warranty and good pricing for what it offers. Nikon seemed good as well for the price but not nearly enough elevation adjustment.
I don't want to go with something too fancy and expensive like a NF at first not knowing how often I'll get to the range, if I ever get serious with it I can always add more later.

thanks

If you are thinking of Sightron or any of the other Hako made scopes, keep one thing in mind. If something goes wrong, you have to get it to a dealer who must ship it to the distributor, who then ships it back to the company that imports them to the USA and sells them. Crossing the border can be a chore. The USA made scopes do have service centers in Canada. Burris may be the exception. Stoeger used to do it but I think they may have dropped the program.

Ahh, I assumed Sightron must have been big enough to build their own and so servicing in the US or something.
Burris reviews seem a bit all over the place but is it still on the consideration list. Doesn't seem to leave much for US made, or "US assembled" other than leupold, then its up in the 1500-4K range eh?

The reason I tend to shy away from the new companies that are springing up is because you never really know what you are buying and after you buy it you are stuck with it. Its a crap shoot and some of these $1,500.00 scopes are nothing more than Asian copies that were originally made for the soft air industry. Scopes for the most part are pretty much, almost, solid state and shouldn't wear out. When I dole out $600 to $2000 for a piece of optical equipment I expect to be able to own it for the rest of my life. If it does fail 15 years from now I would like the company to still be around so that I can get it repaired. To this day, my favorite scope for hunting still is the Leupold VariX1 4x12x40. Its cheep, light, compact, bullet proof and it has a wide range of magnification and a lifetime warranty and I can get it repaired in Canada without crossing borders. Nothing fancy but it works.

This is actually an interesting read and it sheds a bit of light on the Japanese scope flood that's hit America.

Scope makers (Gale McMillan)

Thanks for that link, very interesting read indeed, and kind of disappointing at the same time that its what it has come to manufacturing wise, it can only be more so 13yrs later.

Back