What's new
What's new

Revolver build

noataske

Plastic
I'm building a pair of revolvers and was wondering whether there is anything special about the bore geometry at the end where the bullet enters the barrel. I can't seem to find anything about this and was hoping someone could help.

You need to research "revolver forcing cone", perhaps along with "angle", "reamer", "geometry", "cutting", etc. Brownells sells reamers for cutting this precise and reasonably critical feature.

"Building" meaning what, exactly? Starting from scratch and producing frame, cylinder, barrel, sights, and trigger group on your own? Or replacing an existing barrel with a custom length? Or changing the cylinder and barrel to change the caliber? Or....???

Barrel/cylinder gap is another important feature. Lots of opinions about what is good. Too tight and the least bit of crud/fouling will bind the cylinder. Too loose and velocity and accuracy loss (not to mention excessive gas venting out between the two) will likely occur.

I'm building a pair of revolvers and was wondering whether there is anything special about the bore geometry at the end where the bullet enters the barrel. I can't seem to find anything about this and was hoping someone could help.

SAAMI.org is a good source for Chamber drawings.
Good luck

I'm making a pair of colt Walker black powder revolvers from scratch. Thank you for your help.

Back