What's new
What's new

remington 740/7400

RICKY

Aluminum
I know this is a gunsmiths forum, but reading the thread on the gas port. And not wanting to hijack the thread, i posted this.
I am considering a 740 for bush stalking.
Are the remington 740/7400s very accurate, i have read the odd post here and there that imply that they are a accurate rifle. by accurate, i mean around 1 inch at 100 mtres. or better, are they good for this.?

You are grouping all the calibers of guns into one general lump.

So let me re do this for you.

The Remington 740 - is a pretty good gun, some say even better than a Browning Automatic Rifle when it comes to accuracy.

The reason for that is the way that the bolt locks up in the breech.

The 740 should be accurate out to 300 yards in most calibers.

The most popular of them was 30 - 06 Springfield, 270 Winchester, 308 Winchester, 243 Winchester,and 7mm08

Where as the 7400 is a cheaper version with a different bolt design.
With all the problems that Remington has had lately - I would not suggest anyone buying one.

You would be better off purchasing a used Remington 760 Gamemaster Pump Rifle instead.

I have several that will put 2 - 270 Winchester 130 gr bullets in the same hole in a target at 200 yards.

They were not all made that good, but when you do find a good one - I would suggest that you hold onto it.

We called them Jammasters where I come from
I had a 742 in 30-06 that would not group under 2.5"@100 yds. no matter what loads I tried. For 150 yd. deer hunting it was accurate enough, but I never really liked it. So, I sold it to a swamp hunter who loved it.

RWO

The Rem 740 is a predecessor to the 742, and 7400 and in a family of Rem. guns. The problem with the 740 is the way the bbl is attached to the receiver. It is attached by a stud protruding fwd. from the receiver and a lug that hangs down from the bbl. just fwd of the bbl extension. This lug slips over the stud and is secured with a nut. The forend wood then screws to the gas block between it and the front of the receiver. This can cause stress on the bbl which is light weight. (not good for accuracy) and the gun is very sensitive as to where you put your hand on the forend when you shoot. (not good for accuracy) Needless to say the early 740 isnt one of the most accurate rifles around. Rem. discovered this problem and modified later models i.e. 742 with a modified forend screw that wouldnt cram the wood between the receiver and the gas block. Rather it wouldnt touch the receiver much at all but contact some springs which were installed to keep the aft end of the wood from flopping around. Accuracy was much improved. The 7400 went back to the old 740 method slightly modified, which could work as they now installed a heavier bbl on the gun. Also concerning the multi lug bolt head, the early 740 bolt damages the receiver rail in which is rides. When the bolt stops the inertia causes the bolt head to slam into the rail impressing bolt lug tracks into the somewhat soft steel of the receiver rail. After many, many rounds the bolt sticks open as the bolt lugs engage in the worn impressed rail. These guns also have a tendancy to crack butt stocks if not fitted and bedded properly. They are not bad guns and many people like them. These are just a few of the problems I can think about off the top of my head.
Good luck, Ron

Thanks for that info, it was the remington 1100/1187ish feel i liked the most about them. Thanks again ricky

Back