What's new
What's new

Rotating sling swivels

FredC

Diamond
swivel.jpg
Working on a project to put a sling swivel on a Krag and thought I would recommend a swivel like the one in the photo. Went to look for one and they do not exist on the first few pages of an internet search. Does anyone use these today, if so where do you get them?
This is one on my dad's 1917 Enfield, probably purchased in the early 1950s.

You could use the new push button QD type and get the same feature....

Yeah, QD swivels are so common I doubt there is much demand for the old type. They would not be very hard to make as all they are is a simple cylinder drilled through and countersunk at one end with a couple of blind holes in the sides. The plastic washer between the stock and swivel is the key. The wood screw is just tight enough to allow rotation.

You could steal the sling part from a QD swivel. Spread it just enough to get one side out and then squeeze with a vise if necessary when installing. usually they are springy so it would probably go back in shape when the spreader is released. It's been a long time since I tried it but I think I used pliers that can be rigged to either squeeze or spread, sort of like snap ring pliers but heavier.

Tried the WalMart web site and went through 22 pages, much duplication did not see them. Will look again when I have more time.

The unit on my dad's stock has a nut on the inside and a shoulder screw. If I remember right you tighten it down tight and it still rotates. On the newer application we do not want it to loosen or tighten the screw when you pick it up by the sling as it is doing double duty holding the barrel band also.
Our second choice was to use a quick release, I did see several that mount on the surface without inletting. One of the 2 screws can retain the barrel band if we have to drop back and punt with that.

Good to know the quick release do rotate, one of the ones we looked at said no rotation as if that was a good thing.

+1 on the Grovtec. Decent product and excellent customer service.

Bought a used rifle with a bubba'd GROVTEC sling swivel set up.

Called them to buy a replacement and they sent it at no charge.

A Grovtec was chosen so it will be independent of the barrel band.
Thanks for the help.
Interesting that so few brands and designs are out there.

Back