What's new
What's new

.50 Cal Casing and bullet design

Gents,

Another favour, I've been anked to produce 2 x .50 cal shells for a static display out of solid brass. I have a casing as a pattern but no bullet.

Could somebody please give me an idea of how the bullet should look, ie length protruding from casing, angle and radius of curve if any. Also is it sharp or slightly rounded.

I've guestimated the taper of the casing to be about 1 in 40 or 1 deg 25 mins, does that sound about right?

Thanks in advance

Al

For something as precise as that you can scale a 30-06 cartridge up (thats what the Army did after many different designs for the round were tried...)

Simple was better...

Quick measurements of loaded API round dated 1945
Bullet Length protruding from case mouth 1.550

The primitive system of turning to proper dia and blending with file should be good enough for display :) Could make one this way, and then make a form tool.....

Diameter of bullet at case mouth and every.100 toward tip
.510 at case mouth
tip is a small flat .096

maybe you should try to convince the boys that since a dummy round with an original brass case and an original copper alloy jacketed steel core bullet would be more authentic they should go with such, brightly polished and lacquered.

The completed shells are to be a part of the wall mounting plate for a gold plated AK47 liberated fro Iraq I believe. The primer end is to be tapped so it can be screwed from behind to point outwards from the hardwood plaque. The weapon will rest on the shells, I've only been asked to make the shells but being me want to get it to look as correct as possible and in the correct proportion. This will stay on base and will be seen by military people who know what they should look like.

Thanks for the replies and interest, I'll try and post pictures of the completed items when I get round to them later in the week.

Al

@Tis done.

Many thanks for your help, I stepped the bullet out as shown and profiled it with file and emery:

Picture034.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Picture032.jpg

Picture030.jpg

All that's left to do know is polish and perhaps lacquer, I'm quite pleased with how they've turned out.

Al

Back