What's new
What's new

ammo shortage easing up?

i_r_machinist

Titanium
For the first time in six months, I was able to walk into a store, Academy, and buy a box of .22 shells. I was only allowed to buy one box, but they had it on the shelf. My local gun store still doesn't have any .22 in stock, but I was able to get one box of .45 acp. A buddy just got back from Nevada and said that he actually bought two bricks for $40. Are we starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel?
have fun
i_r_machinist

i agree...there will probably be a second surge of ammo horders and price gougers, but i found 5.56 bulk for .50 a round this weekend, and i found bricks of .22 at the sporting goods store. its just a cycle, much like a recession. eventually it will work itself out. thats why you gotta try and not "buy" into the hype. and fk cuomo

My LGS is full of over priced ammo, bulk 5.56 for .50/rnd+, bulk .45 ACP for the same, etc. His hardest time right now, believe it or not, is getting trap loads for the shotgunners. (And still .22)

I just checked some online sources. Midway has .22LR in stock for .07. Three times what it should be, but at least it is in stock. It would be nice to go shooting without getting a loan.
i_r_

Midway's in stock selection is poor. Add shipping prices and I will pass.
i went on cheaper than dirt a few years ago...thought their prices were "okay"...not stellar and certainly not "cheaper than dirt" but i chose a few things and added them to my imaginary cart, and proceeded to checkout, only to terminate the order because of how much is cost to ship. seems like you have to order a small boatload before you see any cost benfit from any of those places. sportsman guide sometimes will have a decent sale on surplus stuff...nothing headie match grade but good enough for punching holes.

Locally, it seems to be getting better, relatively. I was able to purchase Remington yellow box of 250 ct. of 9mm ($67.00) and 45ACP ($107.00) steel case at the some what local Walmart. Good enough for the range.

Tom

I was in Cabela's a couple weeks ago and the ammo shelves were full but limited selection. I noticed the center fire rifle ammo prices seemed 20-25% higher than pre-panic for common stuff. I didn't think to look for any 22.

About a month ago at a gshow I saw boxes of NOS 300 Weatherby for less than 30/06. Might be time to buy a Weatherby.

Grafs, Natchez shooters, mid south shooting supplies, brownells
For ammo without getting raped on shipping try aim surplus, jg sales, and the previously listed companies

Where would you go for reloading stuff then if not Midway?
Dan,
I bought reloading supplies along way before the latest crisis. I always pick up a little extra if the price is right. You know if you are 71 years old, you would have a chance to do this over the years. I would say, quit being bothered about the prices. If it is good, buy. If it ain't a good deal, pass. Place WTB to buy on various forums and you will find a good deal at times. I will not take the time to post some of my bargains, they just seemed OK at the time. I do not sell my supplies, but would check the classifieds on the various gun related forums.

I hope so...
I got a case of 22 LR Wolf MT from Champions two weeks ago and the CMP just shipped a case of Aguilla SV 22 LR that was on back order since Jan 15th and not expected in to the CMP until at least October. Rumor has it the CMP got 800 cases of the Aguilla SV early and unexpected! Lets hope this is a positive sign.

On the other hand nothing at LGS, Dicks and Wallmart has improved on 22 LR supply which may mean US Made 22 LR is still scarce at retail brick and mortar shops and box stores.

I've been finding it at Wal-Mart sporadically over the last several weeks. Picked up about 10 boxes this month, three 100-count boxes of .40 this morning for about $36/box. .22LR is scarce, as is .223.

I've been finding it at Wal-Mart sporadically over the last several weeks. Picked up about 10 boxes this month, three 100-count boxes of .40 this morning for about $36/box. .22LR is scarce, as is .223.

not a bad price for .40....
last year i was getting boxes of 50 for 13 at the local shop...18 at big dicks

i havent seen much .223 but lots of bulk 5.56 green tips and ball.

It seems that the same people who turned up their noses at .50 cent a round .30 cal rifle ammo don't mind spending $1.00 a round for it now. They are also the people who voted for the great gun and ammo salesman. There is plenty of ammo out there. It is just not for sale right now. Regards, Clark

All the stores where I inquired, told me that they are getting almost No 22LR ammo in.
What very little that does come in, they sell out right away.

If the ammo IS out there, WHO is getting it from the factories, if the stores are not getting it?

Why do so many people claim that the shortage is due to hoarders, yet, if that was true, then the stores Would be getting it in, and then selling it out.
Someone is getting (most of) it from the factories, before it goes to retail outlets. WHO ?

Back