What's new
What's new

Not exactly Gun plumbing, but scope compatibility .243 BDC & 5.56 NATO?

CalG

Diamond
I've got a BDC gimicked scope that is designed for .243.
It's on one of my air rifles and works fine without all the bells and whistles for that purpose.

I plan to move this scope to an AR in the normal 5.56 (actually Wylde chambered) and would use the BDC is it was worth anything.

I looked on line, and have not come up with any useful bullet drop comparisons between the two rounds.
Of course, bullet sellection means everything.

My thinking is, out to 250, one is the same as the other when not benched.

Anyone have any alternate opinions>?/

i don't know much but my guess is out to 250 yards bullet drop is measured in inches not feet when dealing with 2-3000 fps rounds. and the bullet drop curve is entirely the exit velocity and air drag. has nothing to do with the type of bullet nor the caliber if no weird stuff such as supersonic to subsonic transition.

not exactly rocket science to google the bullet drop curvature and try to curve match the two scopes. no offense intended. but at 250 yards its measured in inches for a rifle bullet. for a subsonic .22LR might be a few feet.

i don't know much but my guess is out to 250 yards bullet drop is measured in inches not feet when dealing with 2-3000 fps rounds. and the bullet drop curve is entirely the exit velocity and air drag. has nothing to do with the type of bullet nor the caliber if no weird stuff such as supersonic to subsonic transition.

not exactly rocket science to google the bullet drop curvature and try to curve match the two scopes. no offense intended. but at 250 yards its measured in inches for a rifle bullet. for a subsonic .22LR might be a few feet.

You ah.. ever been on a snipe hunt? Low risk. Can be quite the turn-on as to excitement.

Prolly arrange one for yah. If you think you are up for it.

Not exactly "rocket science", after all..

Of course, bullet sellection means everything.

My thinking is, out to 250, one is the same as the other when not benched.

Anyone have any alternate opinions>?/

You expecting to punch paper or nail varmints? And if the latter, "locally" or on tour to flat Earth country?

Coupla reasonably flat shooters for varmints, modest reach-out. More things I'd pay attention to than BD "calculators" not already in wetware.

Back