What's new
What's new

Sharpening gun drills.

homebrew.357

Aluminum
Hi,I have worked out a way to sharpen my gun drill on my lathe, the drill is set up in 4 jaw chuck and my tool post grinder with fine diamond wheel is set up to grind the angles on the front of the drill using the cross slide and top slide. Now there is a bit of galling on the drill side by the tip, is it ok to grind the side smooth to clean this up so it cuts true and I know this will make it a bit smaller and will cut a different size hole, but not much needs to be removed. The hard bit will be to get the tip turning true on the three side ribs. Thanks for any help, Cheers homebrew.357.

It is rather obvious g r doesn't have any idea of what a gun drill is.

That said, if you are going to ream the hole after drilling, a slightly smaller hole probably will not present any problems. The question is what caused the galling in the first place. Insufficient cutting oil, too low a pressure on coolant? I would address that situation as well.

Hi P Tools, yep, all of them, this is just home hobby stuff and the drill has already drilled my Sharps barrel that was 4140 steel. It was nice and sharp then, but you are right, low oil pressure,300psi, I got away with this because I was drilling a .444" hole, but it cut it nicely , slow feed, took me three days to drill. So was just thinking if I skim the side it would drill nice and clean and have reground the front, it`s just finished another barrel in 1215 steel for black powder. Homebrew.357.

Never tried this but it might be possible to scrape off the galled part with hss blade, x-acto blade or sumthing similar. Carbon steel blade shouldn't even scratch the carbide part.
After that I would finish with very fine diamond polishing/lapping compound, something like 1 micron diamond compound wont take much material off.

Back